Timeskip Arc is the 36th arc of the Gintama series. In this arc, after a one-year hiatus of the series, Shinpachi returned to the Yorozuya, only to find out that 2 years had passed and everyone had changed.
After the Gintama series ended its one-week hiatus, Shinpachi went back to work and found out that 2 years had passed, and everyone around him had changed drastically;
- Gintoki had long hair and wore different clothes;
- Kagura was beautiful with an adult's appearance;
- Sadaharu had become a human;
- Otose, Catherine and Tama had similar appearance to Sadaharu's;
- Otae was married to Kondo and newly pregnant;
- Shinpachi was offered a job in the Shinsengumi (thanks to Kondo);
- Katsura and Kyuubei had undergone a gender change;
- Yamazaki had become the "Demon Vice-Commander Jimmy Yamazaki;"
- Hijikata was the Shinsengumi's gopher;
- Okita was the Commander of the Shinsengumi;
- and Hasegawa became a singer-songwriter known as "MADAO".
As "the Emperor of the Holy Shinsengumi Empire," Okita planned to take down the Kabuki District, starting from kidnapping Shinpachi. He was initially led away by Hijikata but was freed later, as Hijikata was not affected from the timeskip at all. It was then announced that a parasitic, boil-like alien was responsible for the changes, turning their host into what they wanted with their two-year-later appearance, and that the parasite can only be stopped by hitting the host with a paper fan-like object.
After a chaotic struggle, everyone, including Hijikata and except Gintoki, was hit by Shinpachi with his paper fan. He was, in turn, hit by Gintoki, who stated that Shinpachi was infected too.
Characters in order of appearance
- Shimura Shinpachi
- Sakata Gintoki
- Sadaharu (human form)
- Shimura Tae
- Kondo Isao
- Yagyuu Kyuubei
- Saigou Tokumori
- Katsura Kotarou (as "Zurako")
- Yamazaki Sagaru (as "Demon Vice-Commander Jimmy Yamazaki")
- Hijikata Toushirou
- Sougo Okita (as "Shinsengumi Kaiser Sougo Sadistic "S" III")
- Hasegawa Taizou (as "MADAO")
- Gintoki is the only character who is not infected by the parasite.
- In the anime, the arc was changed to coincide with the anime's own one-year hiatus after episode 201, moving the arc before the Glasses Arc. As such, all references to the manga's hiatus were replaced with references to the anime's hiatus.