Shogun Assassination Arc is the 61st arc in Gintama. It is the first of a series of arcs that will mark a turning point in the nature of Gintama, making it more serious and plot oriented along with a permanent change in the character roster. This arc reveals the connection between Shige Shige and the ninja duo plus the linked past between Gintoki and Takasugi, including the true circumstances behind their failure of saving Shouyou.
Shige Shige finds himself a target for assassination from Nobu Nobu and his allies, the Kiheitai and the Harusame. To protect him, Matsudaira forms a plan to secretly smuggle him to Kyou, with the help of the Oniwabanshuu, Shinsengumi and the Yorozuya. They must contend with enemy ninja, one of the strongest terrorist groups, and one of the strongest Amanto races to save the Shogun. But will that be enough? Plus the long-awaited battle between Gintoki and Takasugi happens here.
Characters in order of appearance
- Okita Sougo vs Kamui
- Yorozuya Gin-chan, Sarutobi Ayame, Kondou Isao, & Hijikata Toushirou vs Iga Clan
- Hattori Zenzou vs Kiheitai
- Sakata Gintoki vs Takasugi Shinsuke
- Kagura vs Kamui
- Sakata Gintoki & Takasugi Shinsuke vs Oboro
- Sakata Gintoki, Takasugi Shinsuke, Kamui & Kagura vs Tenshouin Naraku
- As of November 2014, this arc has surpassed the Yoshiwara in Flames Arc, which had 19 chapters, to become the longest Gintama arc. However, in July 2015, it was surpassed by its following arc, Farewell, Shinsengumi Arc.
- This arc explains Tokugawa Shige Shige's origins before becoming the Shogun and marked his last appearance upon his death in Lesson 524.
- This story arc is largely based on the Second Chōshū expedition and the preparation of the Boshin War. In this period, the 14th Shogun, Tokugawa Iemochi (who Tokugawa Shige Shige was based on) died, and the historical Kiheitai reformed.
- In Episode 307, Sougo appears without speaking for the second time. The first was the Shinsengumi Crisis Arc in Episode 105.