Sasaki Isaburo (佐々木只三郎) is the commander of Mimawarigumi.
He wears a white version of the Shinsengumi uniform but he also wears a long trench coat. He wears a monocle. His eyes are very similar with Gintoki's by being half-closed almost all the time.
Sasaki Isaburo born into the elite samurai family Sasaki as the main heir. He is also the half brother to Sasaki Tetsunosuke.
As a newly establishled organisation, they have accomplised a lot more than the other police force. Even the Bakufu relies heavily on Sasaki Isaburo and the Mimawarigumi .
His personality is completely different compared when using email, he insist people to call him Sabu-chan. He states that he doesn't have many friends. He cannot express all his feelings by words so he usually texts with his cellphone.
Strength & Abilities
Being born in the elite samurai Sasaki family, he was trained as the main heir.
He is known as the "Triple threat" master of three weapons: the swords, gun and the pen.
His fighting style in Mimawarigumi arc was that he shoot's the enemy with his gun and if the enemy dodges the gunshot he would slash them with his sword. He is skilled in combat, able to stand his ground against, and even initially overpower Hijikata Toushirou with his fighting techniques.
- Sasaki Tetsunosuke: His half brother, he sees him as the Sasaki family failure. Isaburo wouldn't hesitate to kill Tetsunosuke.
Friends & Allies
- Imai Nobume: His vice commander, Isaburo trusts Nobume abilities as a assassin.
- Takasugi Shinsuke: Currently not much is known between the two but there is no hostility between them and they seem to plot together. According to Nobume, Isaburo intends to see through Takasugi's lie.
- Sakata Gintoki: Isaburo views Gintoki as his favourite email buddy. Isaburo knows that Gintoki is the infamous Shiroyasha. He couldn't understand how he emotionally moved Shogun to resign, helped the Shinsengumi to find a reason to take up their swords and his influence on Nobume.
- Hijikata Toushirou: Isaburo claims he is a big fan of him and Shinsengumi. This all might be nothing more than sarcasm however, as Isaburo wasn't even slightly hesitant to kill Hijikata.
His first appearance was in the Baragaki arc, he sent his brother Sasaki Tetsunosuke into the Shinsengumi.
His second appearance was when Yorozuya and Tsukuyo entered the Shogun castle and the Mimawarigumi guarding the Shogun castle. There, Gintoki once again encountered Isaburo. When Kagura and Shinpachi asked about Suruzan's involvement with Sada Sada, Isaburo answered that Sada Sada had used Suruzan merely as a tool to assassinate high ranked people who opposed his power. Isaburo was stabbed by a Naraku member before he managed to finish the story entirely. Soon after Mimawarigumi was relieved from guarding duty in castle.
- His character is based on the leader of the real Mimawarigumi, Sasaki Tadasaburo 佐々木只三郎.
- He shares the same birthday with fellow Gintama character Sakata Gintoki 坂田 銀時