Sakata Gintoki (坂田 銀時 Sakata Gintoki) is the founder of the Yorozuya, a highly skilled samurai and the main protagonist of Gintama. He enjoys eating sweet things and picking his nose.
Gintoki was first found as a child by his teacher Yoshida Shouyou in a battlefield, surrounded by corpses and holding a katana. Shouyou heard there was a corpse eating demon but found out it was a child eating a leftover riceball. Gintoki, cautious of Shouyou, drew a katana from a dead body, which then led to Shouyou figuring that he was a child that was stripping corpses to protect himself. Shouyou was impressed, but said that a sword swung in self defense while fearing others should be thrown away. He threw his sword to Gintoki, saying that if he was interested in learning how to use the sword, he should follow him. Gintoki, drawn to Shouyou, decided to follow him and asked him for a piggy-back ride.
When the Kansei Purge event happened, the Tendoshu, under the orders of Tokugawa Sada Sada, arrested Yoshida Shouyo and burnt down the school. Gintoki, who was tied down, watched helplessly as Shouyou was taken away. This caused Gintoki, Takasugi and Katsura to rise up as the last warriors of the Joui Patriots.
In the later parts of the Joui war, he, Shinsuke, and Katsura took up their swords and joined the fight. Gin gained the nickname Shiroyasha, which means "white demon", and was feared by both the Amanto and his companions because of his amazing powers in swordplay and his demonic white appearance. He also meet Sakamoto Tatsuma and became good friends with him. After the war, Gintoki disappeared for a while.
He later met Otose in the graveyard where her husband Terada Tatsugorou was buried. While Otose was offering her late husband a tribute of riceballs, Gintoki asked if she's willing to share. Otose replied telling Gintoki to ask her husband which Gintoki did although nothing was heard. He then promised Terada Tatsugorou to always protect Otose until she died in his stead, in return for the riceballs.
He later created Yorozuya with three other people, who were the predecessors of the current Yorozuya Shinpachi, Kagura and Sadaharu.
Gintoki has natural wavy and silver hair and half-lidded red "dead fish eyes" as Hijikata calls it. He wears a black shirt and pants with red linings, and a white yukata (a summer kimono) with light blue patterns worn sloppily, draped over his left shoulder.
Throughout the series he is seen wearing various disguises and has been shown in different styles for gags.
He seems to have a very kinky/pervy side. This can be seen by the way he "mistakenly" insinuated Hinowa's statement (in the 'Courtesan of a Nation Arc') to mean that he, Tsukuyo, Hinowa and Suzuran could have a foursome. His normal use of dirty talk, scatological innuendos, and ability to find ladies (Dominatrices in the Love Choriss Arc) in unstrategical places also seem to suggest this.
Gintoki's past continues to influences who he is and how he acts. He admitted to Umibozu in episode 42 that he believes having a loving family is all someone really needs in life, due to his lack of a family. He is very respectful of his teacher Yoshida Shouyou and out of memory of his teacher's kind actions (the death of his teacher is probably one of main reasons he joined the Joui war). He was outraged and enraged that someone who would harm their student (Jiraia) would call himself a teacher, while they torture their student as how Tsukuyo got torture by Jiraia.
His inability to protect many of his friends in the Joui war still haunts him, and as a result, he is very protective of his current friends. He had told Kawakami Bansai in the Shinsengumi Mutiny Arc the only reason he fought in the Joui war was to protect his friends, not for his country or the samurai way.
He acts like a coward most of the time, will attempt to leave behind his friends if his life is in danger, but this only occurs in the more comical stories, as he is willing to risk his life for anyone, and is shown to be extremely caring towards his friends. Gintoki has shown to be protective to them, to the point as going far as stabbing and killing Naraku members, terrorists and amantos when he tried to attack them. He is extremely scared of ghosts, but is very sensitive to their presence and many times will try to deny their existence.
He has many childish personality traits despite his age, calling himself a child in a man's body. One such trait is his love of sweets to the point of nearly developing diabetes. He is mostly seen eating or drinking something sweet, with strawberry milk being his favorite.
He loves alcohol but his preference is sake that is not too strong, his love of alcohol makes him very troublesome that some female characters: Otose, Otae, Kyuubei, Sarutobi Ayame and Tsukuyo decided to teach him a lesson by pranking him along with Zenzou during the Scandal arc.
He loves to read Shonen Jump and will go to great lengths to acquire the latest Jump issues, rivaling that of Hattori Zenzou who is similarly spirited. He also (just like Hijikata) has a hatred of the dentist, something he is ashamed of due to his age.
Gintoki is very lazy and unmotivated, and is often shown reading Jump and lying around the Yorozuya. Due to his poverty, he is always behind on his rent and often runs away when Otose, his landlady, comes to collect the rent. He attempts to save money whenever he can, but he also loves to play Pachinko and other gambling games, resulting in him spending all his money. Even though he's lazy most of the time, Gintoki is quite a dedicated worker and always puts his mind on his jobs.
Gintoki seems to dislike his curly perm hair. To elaborate further, in Episode 5 he says his lack of girlfriends is due to his 'natural perm' hair. Though several female characters have shown an interest in Gintoki, such as Shimura Tae, Sarutobi Ayame, Tsukuyo and on some occasions Yagyuu Kyuubei, he usually does not show any response back to them because of their physical abuse toward him. He even assaults Ayame who tends to stalk him, but he has a huge crush of the weather girl, Ketsuno Ana and once stated he wished to marry her maybe because of her kind personality he sees on TV. It might be possible that he shows a lot of interest in any women that has a nice body and shows to not have an angry personality, be a stalker or to physically attack him. This was proven in some lessons and during the pool arc, when he saw a woman with binoculars and he got super excited, until he lost all interest in looking at her after finding out it was Tsukuyo and commenting that she is a drunk terminator.
Despite his appearance and initial behavior, Gintoki has a great amount of pride for the old bushido code. He takes it upon himself to rescue or avenge not only his comrades and friends but also people he barely knows.
According to Tama, Gintoki is bit of a sadist who shares the same personality as Sougo.
Strength & Abilities
Master Swordsmanship Specialist: During Joui war, he was the legendary Shiroyasha for his insane fighting abilities against the Amanto invasion. Current combat & sword skills are high enough that the blood-thirsty Yato Kamui has staked his claim on him as his future prey in Episode 146. Umibouzu stated himself that he "carries himself with a certain grace" and that he is "like a master of the sword" in Episode 200. There were times when Gintoki shows his rage to enemies with immense strength towards Jiraia, Doromizu Jirochou and Oboro His greatest strength seems to be his immense stamina and endurance, to the point where he has been called immortal by other characters. He is the strongest swordsman so far shown in the series.
Yagyuu Binbokusai conceded that Gintoki's sword style may well be his own, and not affiliated to any school.
His weapon of choice is usually a bokutou , a wooden katana, engraved with the word Touyako meaning Lake Toya on the handle, carried by his waist. He does not like killing, willing to adapt his bushido to other people or the current times in order to avoid needless loss of lives, as explained to Katsura in Episode 5. This is the most probable reason for his carrying a wooden sword and not a real version. His bokutou was made from a ten thousand year old tree from another planet, claiming to have the ability to break even the meteorite, whether it is true is still unknown, but it may be Gintoki's strength overall. In the manga, it is shown that Gintoki always bought a new bokutou from the TV Commercial every time his current one is broken.
- His bokutou has broken in 7 occasions:
- He cheated by letting Kondou use it, who did not know that he had sabotaged him by breaking it.
- When Kagura was angry after trying to defend it from an Amanto Gankeimaru, only to discover that he bought it by phone.
- In his second battle against Okada Nizou after he obtained the Benizakura.
- In his first battle against Doromizu Jirochou.
- Trying to encounter the shock wave when he was trying to destroy Kintoki.
- His last showdown against Oboro.
- His bokuto was eaten during his fight with Okita Sougo who was possessed by the excalibur sword Maganagi
The other time he used a Katana and Jutte was when he borrowed from Terada Tatsugorou memento in the Devas of Kabuki District arc, Gintoki vowed that he would protect everything that was important to him.
In fellow Shonen Jump anime Bleach, Gintoki was reading the manga in an omake wishing that he could use Getsuga Tensho, Bleach's Ichigo Kurosaki's signature attack in DVD version of Episode 3. But when there was an opportunity to learn a secret signature move from the spirit of Touyako, Gintoki was too lazy and unmotivated to learn.
He has a remarkable ability to sense ghost/Stand and can still maintain his self-consciousness to manipulate them even as they possess him in the Onsen Chapter Episode 134.
In the final scene of Episode 203, he is shown using the Final Getsuga Tensho, Ichigo Kurosaki's final attack from Bleach.
He is also shown to be able to wield dual-swords during the second fight with Housen, with his wooden sword and a real sword.
- Yoshida Shouyou: Shouyou was probably the most important person in Gintoki's life, something that is further emphasized by Katsura who mentions that out of the three of them (Katsura, Takasugi and Gintoki) he should be the one to most hate the world. Shouyou took Gintoki away from the corpses of the battlefield and offered him a life as a student and taught him everything. Gintoki deeply respects him, to the extend that he gets furious if someone dirties the name of being a master. The death of Shouyou was devastating to him and until the present haunts him. Gintoki treasures deeply the lessons Shouyou taught him but he doesn’t seem to no longer treasure the things he gave him such as the sword and the book, which seems he threw it away when it became soiled with food. One of the things Gintoki honors the most with his sensei is the promise they made the probably last time they saw each other. Although he controls himself, Gintoki has showed a dark side in which he wants to slay those who were related to the death of his beloved teacher, which is also showed by Takasugi and Katsura at the beginning of the series.
Friends & Allies
- Kagura: Gintoki seems to care about Kagura more than anyone when she's in danger or not in a good condition. (He saved her in episode 42, when Kagura was attacked by an alien, despite the fact that he abandoned her awhile ago; he even tried to skip his job to take Kagura to the hospital in episode 91). When she was feeling down because she didn't feel that her umbrella was as pretty as other girls, he ended up buying her a cute one (episode 111). Their relationship seems to be a "father-daughter" even though she greatly admires him and has picked up several of Gintoki's habits such as picking her nose. They are usually partners in crime and join together in many different gags. As the series progresses, it could even be said that Kagura is a mini Gintoki.
- Shimura Shinpachi: Gintoki met Shinpachi at a restaurant where he had ordered a Chocolate Parfait when a fight broke out between Gintoki and some Amantos because they were harassing Shinpachi and accidentally spilled his Parfait. Since then, Shinpachi has been with Gintoki. They could be considered brothers, though neither of them show it.
- Otose: Otose is Gintoki's landlady. They both met in a graveyard where Otose was visiting her husband's grave. There, she gave food to a hungry and weak Gintoki, and he vowed to protect her in her husband's place to show his gratitude. Although they argure about paying rent, they both care about each other. When Otose was cut by Doromizu Jirochou, Gintoki went into a rage against Jirochou showing how much he cares about her.
- Katsura Kotarou: Katsura has been Gintoki's friend ever since they were very little. They usually fight along side with each other, so they can be considered very close friends. Gintoki always calls Katsura by the nickname "Zura", which literally means "wig", even though Katsura prefers his real name. They bicker with each other a lot and Gintoki often shows his annoyance and wants to get away when Katsura is acting stupid (which is very often). He has extreme faith in Katsura's strength, and was extremelly angry when Nizou stated that he killed Katsura thinking it was impossible that Nizou killed him.
- Sakamoto Tatsuma: Both of them fought in Joui War but Sakamoto has a close friendship with him even though he keeps calling him Kintoki. He admits that Sakamoto is extremely strong, but states that his head is empty. When Sakamoto retired from the war, he offered Gintoki to come along with him to explore space but Gintoki declined.
- Kondou Isao: Gintoki has a lot of respect for Kondou after their first duel. Although he wrote down a new Regulation that Yorozuya is to be hated, Kondo actually respects Gintoki as Yamazaki stated in episode 32. It is noted that it was Gintoki himself who coins the latter the nickname "Gorilla" judging by his appearance.
- Hijikata Toushirou: They both have similar personalities and are usually seen arguing or making comments about the other (mostly Gintoki), resulting in the two frequently clashing as rivals. They share the same traits and fears like being terrified of ghosts and dentists, but they can reach an unbelievable synchronization when fighting together.
- Okita Sougo: Gintoki never can spell his name correctly from Soichiro, Soda, even Sofa. Okita seems to get along rather well with Gintoki. After a rough beginning, the two find common grounds in their love of torturing and humiliating Hijikata. After witnessing the fight between Gintoki and Hijikata, Okita said he would love to clash swords with Gintoki one day. Although a hit from Hijikata would often result in a violent retribution from Okita, he doesn't seem to have a problem with taking a lecture or a knock on the head from Gintoki. When his sister came to visit, Okita bribed Gintoki (with three chocolate parfaits) to pretend to be his best friend. Later when Okita left, Gintoki acknowledges the friendship to Mitsuba. In the Yagyuu Arc, Shinpachi referred to them as the "Sadist Duo".
- Ketsuno Ana: Gintoki has a crush on the weather-girl . He even once escaped from his cleaning duties at the Otose Snack to go and buy a Ketsuno Ana figurine, but started tearing out calendar pages in despair when he saw on TV that she had suddenly gotten married. After her divorce with her husband, he started wishing for the chance to marry her and become a part of the Ketsuno Clan family.
- Sarutobi Ayame: She is so in love with Gintoki up to the extent that she stalks him constantly and wants to have a SM (sadist-masochist) playtime with him. Gintoki's denial and sometimes even hostile attitudes towards her only encourages her as she believes it is part of the "sadistic" nature of Gintoki, resulting in a larger ambition to get with Gintoki.In the Scandal arc she mentioned that she would never trick Gintoki but in that case she did it in order to live with him. Though Gintoki usually treats her badly- to the point of open hostility- he did rescue her when she fell from a building during the Kintama arc.
- Tsukuyo: Although Tsukuyo said that she threw away her female identity, she admits her romantic feelings for Gintoki when she told him that her resolve weakens when she is around him. Whenever Gintoki accidentally gropes her breasts, she'll do a German suplex on him. When she is intoxicated, she thrashes Gintoki to the point where he has become rather afraid of her in that state. She is also the only woman in the series who got her breasts groped by Gintoki twice and also her behind (albeit acidentally). It was also pointed out by Hinowa and Seita, by writing on a new years card that Tsukuyo was sad and down when she heard that he got married to Sarutobi, but Tsukuyo crossed out what they said about her and replaced it by wishing them happiness. Gintoki has show on multiple occasions to be protective of her in both the red spider and ikkoku keisei arc.
- Shimura Tae: It is sometimes hinted that they may have romantic feelings for each other. The first time they met was when Gintoki made Shinpachi lose his job. There are subtle hints that Otae has romantic feelings for Gintoki, such as when Gintoki's memory were lost and she took care of him in Benizakura arc. In Yagyu Arc, he said that he is there just for Shinpachi but he actually was fighting for Otae, because he wanted to see her happy and make her smile. People often think they are a couple. (Sarutobi Ayame, Madao, Obi Hajime, Kondo Isao etc.)
- Yagyuu Kyuubei: Gintoki is the only guy that made Kyuubei behave like a girl and made her nervous or blush whenever he touches her. She even cried for Gintoki during the Kintama Arc, when she lost the memories of him. This causes Toujou to use Gintoki to bring an end to Kyuubei's boyhood and make her develop romantic feelings for men and forget the romantic feelings she has toward Tae. It's infer that she possibly develop few feeling toward him at the end of the Yagyuu arc, but she develop most of them at the group date, when he touched her in the hand and he said that it feels nice to touch a beautiful's woman hand.
- Rei: She helped Gintoki in the ghost inn and joked about washing his back near the ending of the arc.
- Takasugi Shinsuke: Although Gintoki, Katsura and Takasugi studied together under Yoshida Shouyou and had the same starting point, Takasugi views them now as his enemies. Takasugi seeks to destroy what Shouyou left behind, while Gintoki protects what Shouyou left behind. Imai Nobume said that the only similarities that Gintoki and Takasugi share are their sorrowful eyes. Gintoki and Katsura swore that they would do everything to take him down in Benizakura arc. Likewise Takasugi said to Kamui that he wants to kill Gintoki.
- Kamui: Elder brother of Kagura. Kamui has his eyes set on Gintoki as a prey after he and the Hyakka defeated Housen. He has combined his forces with Kiheitai.
- Oboro: Successor of Tensho School and leader of assassin organization Naraku. They've encountered each other in the Joui war when Oboro slayed many of Gintoki's allies but Oboro failed to kill him. They've met up again when Gintoki confronted Tokugawa Sada Sada, Gintoki assumes he died when he impaled him with his Bokutou, but in truth he managed to survive and report to the Tendoshu about Shouyou's students.
- Daraku: Gintoki and Katsura charged into a Harusame ship to save Shinpachi and Kagura from Daraku and his Harusame pirates. His fate remains uncertain.
- Onijishi: Dakini mercenary. Gintoki fought against Onijishi after he killed Oshou Doushin. His fate remains uncertain.
- Okada Nizou: Okada Nizou was first met as a hired blade. He was employed by Hashida to find his grandson. He would later appear as a member of Kiheitai and as a wielder of Benizakura sword. He was killed by Gintoki when the Benizakura took over his body.
- Kawakami Bansai: Kiheitai's assassin and negotiator. He was seen first time by Gintoki aboard Harusame spaceship next to Takasugi. He would later use Itou Kamotarou as a tool to destroy Shinsengumi from within. He was defeated by Gintoki.
- Housen: Powerful Yato clansman also known as King of the Night. He was defeated by combined forces of Hyakka and Gintoki.
- Jiraia: Tsukuyo's master and original leader of the Hyakka. He appeared again in Yoshiwara after Tsukuyo learned to rely on others and intended to make her independent by killing all dear to her. He was defeated by Gintoki.
- Doromizu Jirochou: One of the Four Devas and leader of Dobunezumi yakuza. He is old Joushishi veteran who is also childhood friend of Otose. While not techically evil, he forsake his humanity in order to stop Kujaku Hime Kada to conquer the Kabuki District the same way Housen obtained Yoshiwara. In his last duel with Jirochou, Gintoki spared his life as he was important to Terada Tatsugorou and saved him from his suffering. He retired after Kada was repelled from Kabuki District.
- Sakata Kintoki: An android which was created by Gengai to substitute Gintoki when he was absent. Kintoki soon conquered protagonist title with his hypnosis wave when Gintoki was away. Kintoki had altered Edo's residents memories so that he had always been the protagonist of Gintama (or more fittingly, Kintama). While Gintoki has many flaws as protagonist, Kintoki has none of them.
- Jugem Jugem: For some reason jugem hates his face and likes to throw poop at him. All monkeys shares hatred for him.
- Tokugawa Sada Sada: At the beginning of the courtesan of a nation, Gintoki was scared of sada sada for being the former shogun. Gintoki started to his fear for the shogun after finding out that he's a corrupted leader that used Suzuran just for political power and ripped off Rotten Maizou arm, when maizou made a promise with suzuran instead of killing her. Gintoki gained hate torwards sada sada, after sada sada ripped off maizou's second arm and threw sada sada to the wall with oboro. Gintoki earn a lot more hate towards sada sada, after sada sada revealed to be responsible for Shoyo execution and badmouth shoyo in front of gintoki's face; gintoki decided to stand up after being poison by oboro to try kill sada sada. He failed to kill him, when oboro poison him more.
StoryGintoki first appeared at a café where Shimura Shinpachi was working, when his chocolate parfait was spilled by a couple of troublesome Amantos. This incident triggers Gintoki's anger who subsequently punches the manager (possibly because he was tormenting Shinpachi) and beats the Amantos with his wooden sword . Gintoki then flees the café on his scooter and leaves the blame of the fight with Shinpachi by hiding his wooden sword on him. Soon afterwards, Shinpachi chases after Gintoki blaming him for getting him in trouble and getting fired. Gintoki abruptly stops his scooter which results in Shinpachi being hit in the balls who then pleas in pain. Gintoki tells Shinpachi that he should not think that he is the only one with problems and that he should be positive just like samurais who lives in cardboard boxes. Shimura Tae then arrives at the scene and starts to beat up Shinpachi when she realizes that he is not at work. Gintoki then attempts to run away but when Shinpachi tells Tae that it was all Gintoki's fault, he is easily stopped by Tae.
Later on after a beating Gintoki apologized to them at their dojo. Tae however says that a apologize is not enough as he had left them in a pinch situation for the dojo. Gintoki then offers his business card for Yorozuya and is willing to help them with any problem that they may have. Shinpachi and Tae however tells him that he is the cause of their problems and beat him up once again. a while later, Amanto debt collectors shows up at the dojo and demands Shinpachi and Tae to pay off. When the the boss of the debt collectors made fun of Shinpach's and Tae's death father and dojo Tai hits him out of anger. The debt collectors then holds her down as the boss were about to hit her when Gintoki then suddenly interfered. Gintoki claims that even though Tae was raised by a gorilla she is still a women who people should not hit. The debt collectors instead offer a job for Tae to work at an illegal nightclub airship. Againts Shinpachi's will Tae took the offer and leaves with the debt collectors. with Shinpach and Gintoki just left he ask if he should not go after his sister. Shinpachi at first claim that he does not care about her but when Gintoki sees his troubled face he ask him if he loves his sister. The both of them then decide to go and save Tae as Gintoki steals a police vehicle on the way to be able to fly up to the airship. They both of them brake through the ship and save Tae as they then make a run for it inside the ship. All of them then ended up in the engine room and has no where to run as the debt collectors surround them. Gintoki clear the situation bt destroying the engine core to the ship in which resulting the ship getting destroyed. Later on the ground the police arrest the debt collectors and tries to arrest Gintoki also because of stealing the police car. Shinpachi decides at that point to start working with Gintoki while trying to learn how to be a trua samurai from him.
Yorozuya was asked by a client to find his missing daughter, Kimiko. They would eventually find their way into a night club filled with Amanto. Bartender warned them about dangerous drug called Tensei Kyou. After Gintoki went to bathroom, suffering from hangover. Shinpachi and Kagura were captured by Harusame officer, Daraku. Gintoki would bumb into Daraku and Kimiko in bathroom. Harusame were trying to dispose of Kimiko who was creating too big scene because of her addiction to Tensei Kyou. Gintoki tried to protect Kimiko from space pirates, but after seeing Kagura and Shinpachi taken away by them, Daraku used this as an advantage and managed to take Gintoki off guard, impaling his left shoulder. He and Kimiko fell through window into alleys below.
After waking from nightmare, he found himself in Katsura's residence. Katsura warned Gintoki not to go after the space pirates in his condition. Gintoki wouldn't listen because his friends were in danger. Both he and Katsura went to find the pirates in order to save Kagura and Shinpachi.
Meanwhile Shinpachi woke up in Harusame ship. Daraku was speaking with Bakufu amanto official, Kinya. Frog-like amanto was the reason why Harusame was able to smug and trade their drug so easily. Harusame believed that the kids were spies sent by Katsura. Shinpachi was blackmailed to tell everything about Katsura and his hideouts whereabouts, or else Daraku would kill Kagura. Kagura kicked Daraku and was about to drop into the sea, weren't it for Gintoki who had found the pirate ship. Katsura diverted the pirates from Yorozuya by bombing their Tensei Kyou storage. Daraku would be Gintoki's only enemy now. After trading single sword strikes, Daraku admitted that for a person who doesn't was his hands in bathroom, he was pretty clean guy. Daraku fell to ground and Gintoki carried Kagura and Shinpachi home.
Otose calls the Yorozuya to help the neighbours stop a noisy inventor, Gengai. After a while one of the man's robots comes out and they soon manage to get inside his garage. They move Gengai's invention to a place that wouldn't disturb the neighbors. But then Gengai needs to fix the robots all over again to prepare them for the Amanto festival, so when he asks the Yorozuya to help, they run away instead but ended up helping him anyway.
During the festival, Gin speaks with Gengai about what happened during the Amanto war, with Gengai asking Gin if he ever thought of avenging his fallen comrades. Gin is watching the fireworks when the show is about to start, but is ambushed by his but his former Joi ally Takasugi Shinsuke. Under the threaten of a sword at his back, Gin is forced to see how Gengai's robots run wild attacking the Shogun and the Shinsegumi. Takasugi underestimates Gin and believes that he has lost the beast he had once during the Amanto War, but Gin grabs Takasugi's sword with his bare hands, completely immobilizing it before punching Takasugi.
Gintoki confronts Gengai and his robot, Saburo, asking him to stop what he's doing. Gengai orders Saburo to fire towards the Shogun even if Gin stands in the way. Gin proceeds to attack the robot and destroys it after noticing for a brief moment that the robot hesitated and lowered its weapon on its own free will.
Okita Sougo offered to Yorozuya a job which involved them tracking down champion of Rengokukan, Kidoumaru. They later found out that Kidoumaru raised dozens of orphaned children and in the en tried to aid them to escape from the wrath of Tendoshu. Kidoumaru was killed by the new Rengokukan champion, Onijishi. Later on, the children asked Yorozuya to avenge their sensei's murder as they offer to give away their toys as payment. Gintoki shows account to the children as he decides to help them. Hijikata at Yorozuya suggests that Gintoki should not do it as he could get himself killed. Gintoki ignores the warning as he says that he has an organ that is more important than his heart. The organ is not visible but it helps him to move forward and if he would run away, then his soul would break apart. Later, Gintoki enters the ring with Kidoumaru's mask on as he challenges Onijshi to a revenge match. As they start to fight, Gintoki's mask breaks and receives a heavy blow from Onijishi. Gintoki however blocked the attack with his wooden sword to reduce the impact of the blow. Gintoki then goes with a finish blow against Onijishi and defeats him. The Shinsengumi then also shows up to arrest the Rengokukan owners even though their interference would have cost them their heads.
Memory Loss Arc
Gintoki had lost his memory a in scooter accident. Kagura and Shinpachi tried to restore his memory, almost succeeding few times, but always returning back to start by outside interference. They met with various characters like Otose, Catherine, Katsura, Sachan, Otae and Kondo. During their visit to Otae, she mentioned to Gin that he'd better forget his old self and start anew, blushing from his new looks. Sakamoto Tatsuma crashed his spaceship on Yorozuya's shop, wiping last remnant of proof of Gintoki's existence. After that incident, he decided to disband Yorozuya and start his life all over again.
He would later find work in Justaway factory, where Yamazaki Sagaru had infiltrated because of the factory manager's shady background. Yamazaki would find both Gintoki and his commander Kondo who had also lost memory because of Otae's cookings. They found out that the Justaways they produced were actually powerful bombs. The factory manager had decided to destroy Edo because of losing his job and causing his otaku son to turn into a Yakuza member because of this. He plans on using a giant cannon to annihilate Edo.
Kagura and Shinpachi found their way to factory, thanks to Otose's investigation and helped the Shinsengumi to try defeat Banzou's ambition. Moved from their insistence as they stood in front of him to protect him from the cannon, he starts to remember everything slowly. Suddenly, Gintoki grabs his wooden sword from Shinpachi and moves to destroy the cannon. A moment before the shot is fired, Gin lands the final blow destroying the deadly weapon. After the explosion, he walks away telling Shinpachi and Kagura that "We are going home".
Train Samurai Arc
Gin is eating the cake along with Kagura after opening a box that was sent there for Shinpachi. As Shinpachi reads the letter that was inside the box, which was read already by Gin and Kagura and was recklessy put together again, they make fun of him.
Later, when Shinpachi is having a date with the girl called Eromesu, Kagura, Otae and himself stalk them throughout the whole date. Gin tries to calm Otae down about Eromesu having cat-ears, but he ends up receiving Otae's and Kagura's grief, as they are jealous of Eromesu's cuteness. They end up following them to Eromesu's place and they soon see Eromesu sneaking out with a smirk on her face. Realizing that she tricked Shinpachi, Gin angrily chases her around throwing his sword missing in the end. As he is having a conversation with Eromesu about how she deceives people only to steal their wallets, Otae and Kagura ambush her from the roof.
Shinpachi comes in and protects her at the last moment. He forgives her and says that he doesn't have any hard feeling towards her, but at the last moment he draws his sword and knocks her out, telling that what he said was a lie.
Kagura's father is prepared to drag Kagura home, and after witnessing the collatoral damage their fight creates, Gintoki agrees children should return home to family. He encourages Kagura to leave, but when he sees her on the news fighting for her life, he doesn't hesitate to go help. Once things calm down, Gintoki hands over a letter Kagura secretly writes to her father, one of many which remain unsent due to lack of address.
Infant Strife Arc
With a baby that was similar in appearances to Gintoki turning up at his doorstep, Gintoki must now clear the misunderstanding that the child was not his. It later turned out that there was more than meets the eye, with the child being the grandson of a wealthy old man.
The Yorozuya felt uncomfortable when trying to talk to Elizabeth who is alone without Katsura and Gintoki leaves on a job leaving Shinpachi and Kagura to handle Elizabeth. He is assigned by Murata Tetsuya and Murata Tetsuko to find the evil sword Benizakura. Later that night, he saves Shinpachi and Elizabeth from assasain Okada Nizou from the Kiheitas who has the benizakura sword with him. he seduced Gintoki by making fun of a bit of Katsura's hair while holding it as he claims he had killed him. Gintoki refuses to believe and engage him in battle. he badly injured Gintoki, who was unaware of Benizakura's properties and abilities at that moment.and impales Gintoki, but is saved by Shinpachi who cuts off Nizou's arm and then he retreats, leaving Gintoki nearly dead. He is later being cared by Shimaru Tae who threatens to kill him if he moves. He then learns the truth of Benizakura from Tetsuko and he leaves after Tae says she will buy him Jump when she gives him the wrong one and is given a sword that Tetsuko made to stop the Benizakura since his wooden sword was broken. With the help from Tetsuko, Gintoki manage to land on the Kiheita airship. There, He encounters Nizou once again as Gintoki starts to fight with him once again. Gintoki manage to beat him at the first state but manages to beat Jizou. During the aftermath, he helps Katsura battle the Amanto and say that the next time they meet, they will kill Shinsuke and both escape on a parachute. When Katsura tells him that the book he had when he was younger was able to help him live and Gintoki tells him he had to get rid of it when it got split ramen on it.
A customer comes from a wayward town and requests the yorozuya to find her son. They find out that the son had undergone plaqstic surgery changing his features. They suspect that the man is now working in a male host bar and join after discovering it is being troubled by the Yakuza. After the yakuza come to collect payment and fail, the mother who came to look for her son was swept away when the yakuza waz exiting to be seen later at the yakuzas base helping a pet of theirs give birth. They capture her and threaten the son to pay back the money. He goes with all the earnings to gain back his mother but the Yorozuya enter causing havoc, saving the mother and impeding the son from losing his money. The mother leaves without her son, but she is proud of him nonetheless.
Yagyu ArcGintoki helps Shinpachi on his try to get back Otae from Kyubei, who claimed Otae to be his(her) bride from the Yagyu family. They all enter a compettion where they they put plates attach to themselves as the teams have to take out each others plates to win. Gintoki ends up in a bathroom as he had got a stomachache for have eating something bad earlier. he realise at that point he was together arrives with Kondo and Yagyuu Binbokusai who were in the next toilets to each other. At that point, they all realise that there is no toilet paper left for any of them and gets in a serious crisis. Not long after Toujou Ayumu arrives also as he plans to take Gintoki and Kondo down while they were defensless in the toilets. Unfortunately Ayumu gets a stomachache also for have eating bad eggs and joins they others in a toilet. As all four sits down still on their toilets without toilet paper they all try to find alternatives for papers. Kondo uses a bit of sand paper that Binbokusai gave away for all while Ayumu seem to do the same thing. Gintoki is left with Binbokusai as Gintoki uses money bill to use instead of toilet paper and Binbokusai uses a certain important scroll. After that, they both leaves the bathroom and starts their fight. Gintoki gets easily pulled around by Binkokusai with his attacks as Gintoki hardly manage to him because if his small size. Later on, Gintoki meets up with Shinpachi as they both them up againts Yagyuu Kyuubei and Binkokusai to break their plates. At firts they get easily beat up but Gintoki manage to manuever Kyuubei and manage to break her plate in midair. At that point though Binkokusai graps onto Gintoki and hit him to a statue which in result break his plate. But at the same time, Shinpachi comes with a surprise attack againts Binkokusai and manage to break his plate in which resulting them winning the game.
Later on, Gintoki and his friends gets hired by Kondo to try to break down the wedding ceremony in which he was going to forcefully go to with Princess Bubbles. At the ceremony though Gintoki and his friends does not take the job seriously and complains about that there is only bananas as wedding food. However thanks to Shimura Tae the ceremony gets interupted and the marriage somehow got off.
Okita Mitsuba Arc
Gintoki was "bribed" by Okita Sougo to pretend to be his best friend for the day. Even though it was supposed to be all a setup to assure Sougo's sister, Mitsuba, Gintoki admitted the friendship to Mitsuba at the end of the day.
When Mitsuba's health conditions worsened, Gintoki visited her at the hospital with her favourite spicy snacks.
Before Sougo headed off the battlefield, Gintoki, while pretending to be sleeping, listened to Sougo's most inner thoughts. He then headed off to the battlefield together with Sougo.
Hardboiled Detective Arc
Follow a "hard boiled" detective in his latest case.
Tasked with buying the Owees by their clients, Gintoki and the Yorozuya queued up for the purchase of Owee. The situation later turned into a battle of the Yorozuya against the Shinsegumi. Gintoki, together with Kagura, took part in the final round of battle, Dragon Hunter lll, where each team will have to fight to defeat the bandits in the caves.
Abandoned by their teammates right at the start, Gintoki and Hijikata teamed up to make their way to the caves where they eventually was able to restore their health back to full. Using the village leader as their weapons, Gintoki and Hijikata started their fight with the bandits. However it became a hassle when Okita arrives from the casnio and Kagura at a much higher level and choas happens.
Hasegawa Prosecution Arc
When Hasegawa was charged with sexual harassment, Gintoki turned up last minute as his lawyer. Hasegawa remarked that Gintoki stood a chance since no one had ever won an argument against him.
Shinsengumi Crisis Arc
Gintoki and the Yorozuya were asked by Hijikata to protect the Shinsegumi from Isao as he was unable to do so when the demonic sword's power started eating into his personality and turning him into Tosshi. Gintoki and his friends decides to help him as they steal a shinsengumi police car. Later on, while dressed in Shinsegumi uniforms, the Yorozuya headed off to the train and into the battlefield to save Kondou that was the target of the internal strife. There, Gintoki encounters Kawakami Bansai as he reveals Kiheitais plans to Gintoki about destroying the Shinsengumi. While the train that Kondo, Hijikata and the others were on explodes at a bridge and hangs to the edge Gintoki starts to fight with Bansai. At one point, Bansai stops Gintoki's movements with his instrument strings but Gintoki manage to break out of them in a painful way. When Isao protected Kondo and Hijikata from the shots from a Kiheitai helicopter Gintoki push Bansai into the helicopter in which causing it to lose balance. On the helicopter, Bansai takes out his hidden sword and pierces Gintoki's left shoulder as he argues to Gintoki that their country is rotten as Gintoki has lost his way of life. At that point, Gintoki had manage to use Bansai's own strings to tie Bansai and the helicopter together as he jumps down to the ground. Gintoki tells Bansai to leave Takasugi a message and says that what he tried to protect in the Joui Wars has not changed. Gintoki then pulls his wooden sword which was attached with strings to the helicopter as he pulls the helicopter down with all his strengh and destroys it . Bansai manage to survive somehow as he returns to Takasugi for a summary of the mission.
Guardian Dog Arc
Monkey Hunter Arc
Ghost Ryokan Arc
Yoshiwara in Flames Arc
Gintoki meets Seita晴太 who was trying to steal his wallet but got caught instead (even though Gintoki's wallet was empty to begin with). At Snack Otose Seita explains his situation about his desperate need for money to be able to meet the courtesan Hinowa of the underground city Yoshiwara. Gintoki mistake at first that Setia wants to meet her because of sexual desire but then he tells that he thinks that Hinowa is his lost mother. When everyone realize his desperate need for money to meet his mother, Otose offers him to work at the bar to be able to help at bit of his problem.
After Seita have been working at the snack bar for a while, Gintoki went to Yoshiwara and at a bar he overhears the men who were given money by Seita for him to able to afford to meet Hinowa one day. The men had however spent Seita's collecting money for sake instead. Gintoki knocks them down and takes their wallets to repay for their crime. However because of his ruckus, Gintoki suddenly gets attacked by a Hyakka solier who was disguised as a bar waitress. Gintoki flees as he meets up with Shinpachi, Kagura and Seita who had Haykka on their tail also. Gintoki then meets Tsukuyo as he protects Setia from her kunais by repelling them. Gintoki however got hit by one right in his forehead and tries to desperately act nonchalant about it. By making things worse, he gets noticed that one of the kunai he repelled got hit by Seita and as in result made Gintoki even more deperate but still tries to desperately act nochalant. Tsukuyo then knocks down Gintoki and all others with a special kunai in which made them all fall unconscious.
Later on they all ended up in some pipe walls as Tsukuyo had faked their death to let them escape from Yoshiwara She was asked by Hinowa to let Seita escape as she does not want him to get hurt by getting near her. Suddenly the group gets interfered by the Yatos Kamui, Abuto and Ungyou from the Harusame pirates who plans to capture Seita do bring him to Housen. Gintoki and the others gets easily tricked as the Yatos success capturing Seita and then destroy the pipe walls in which resulting the group loosing their footing. Thanks to Tsukuyo's help Gintoki and the group managed to survive the fall in one piece. Gintoki and the others then decide to go rescue Seita and then try at the same time get the sun back over Yoshiwara. Gintoki and his friends disguise themselves in Yoshiwara female clothing as they manage together with Tsukuyo infilitrate the Housen castle. However, once inside they got spotted right away by the Hyakka soldiers. Tsukuyo tells Gintoki and his friends to move on ahead as she will hold the Hyakka soldiers off for them. Gintoki then ask Tsukuyo to give him her blowing pipe as a promise that they will all survive and returns it once they fight is over.
As the proceed, the group encouter Abuto who plans to clean up the infilitrators. Shinpachi and Kagura offers to fight him while Gintoki will run ahead of them. Later on, Gintoki finally encounters Housen who had meet up with Seita who had finally reuinte with his mother even though it was revealed that she was not his real mother. Housen ask him what the reason is to be here and wonders if he wants to have a drink with women at his Yoshiwara. Gintoki answers that does not want a drink from a women who is crying as he notes Hinowa's tears and wants instead a drink from a smiling women without sadness.Gintoki and Housen then starts their battle againts each other as Housen brings out his giant fightning umbrella and Gintoki had prepared a samurai sword. Gintoki got easily pushed back by Housen's first strike and after a some blows he gets smashed into the wall. Housen quickly jumps forth and grap his head into the wall. Housen tells Gintoki that the samurais has lost their place in life and that their world and women have already fall into the Amanto's hands including his own. He tells him that the samurai had already lost their battle againts the Amanto but Gintoki however laughs at his word and says that he is still fightning for the world. Gintoki then pierces Tsukuyo's blowing pipe into Housen's right eye making him feel a great pain. Under that time, Gintoki yells at Seita to run away with his mother. Seita though refuses as he does not want to leave behind his friends. Gintoki answered that he should do it for his sake as he does not want to fail to protect anything again. Gintoki suddenly gets hit again by Housen in which result leaving him to close death. After a short while, Tsukuyo shows up at the place together with several Hyakka soldiers as they all plan to take down Housen together. Tsukuyo sarcastically makes fun of Gintoki when she sees his condition but when she throughs a kunai at him to try to make him wakes up from his senses Gintok catch it with his fingers. Gintoki then returns back to the battle as he joins forces with Tsukuyo and the Hyakkas. The battle gets pretty tight as Gintoki manage to get some big hits at Housen as the Hyakka backs him up by throughing many kunais at him. Housen however easily defeat a lots of Hyakkas as Gintoki gets more injured from his attacks. At one point with the help from Tsukuyo Gintoki strikes a big hit with his wooden sword againts Housen and attack several times after without Housen have time to strike back. Gintoki pulls Housen back againts the walls and with help from the Hyakka they do a finish attack several kunais. Believing that Housen is defeated everyone gets happy relieved. However, Housen then throughs back some kunais in which goes towards Tsukuyo. Gintoki then pulls away Tsukuyo and takes the hits from the kunai himself instead. a criticial injured Housen rise back from the wall and claims that no matter how many candles of light they collect they cannot compare to the sun. Gintoki however decline and says that with enough light they can melt the chains of Yoshiwara. At that point, the hatches to the underground starts to opened thanks to Seita, Shinpachi and Kagura who had planned to bring the sun down over the town. When Housen realise that they sun starts to shine into the city, Gintoki then moves in and dealt the final blow on Hosen that sent him straight through the wall of his mansion and out into the sunlight. As Hosen was a yato who hadn't seen sunlight for many years, as stated by Hinowa in Episode 144, his body immediately reacted to the sun and he dried up, dying in Hinowa's lap, who had been carried to him by two rebelling members of the Hyakka, as seen in Episode 145. She had always wanted to show him the sun, and cried as she said that he was just a foolish old man who wanted to sleep under the sun, yet he built that foolish city (Yoshiwara), and turned everyone against him.
Hosen was buried at an unbearably hot place, as stated by Umibouzu in Episode 146. He was buried on a cliff with his umbrella used as a gravestone. Gintoki, who was there with Umibouzu, said that the prostitutes wanted Hosen to sunbathe in the afterlife. Umibouzu then told Gintoki that he didn't expect him to take down Hosen. However, Gintoki quickly disapproved that he did it himself, and said he never would have made it alone and that they just ganged up on him. Umibouzu continued that Kamui thought otherwise. Kamui had been put in charge of Yoshiwara, as he took credit for killing Hosen, telling the Harusame that it was a result of their investigation. But he hadn't sent anybody there, and had left the place completely unattended. According to Umibouzu, this was because Kamui had no interest in Yoshiwara. His only interest was in Gintoki, and he obtained Yoshiwara so that no one would lay a hand on them. Umibouzu then stated that Gintoki may have saved Yoshiwara, but he himself, would be killed.
Yorozuya Barbers Arc
Gintoki, Kagura, and Shinpachi was left by the owner of the Barber Shop to buy some manga, without experiences, the Yorozuya find ways to do their duties as Yorozuya Barbers.
Tama Quest Arc
Character Poll Arc
Kabukicho Stray Cat Arc
The Yorozuya goes on a hunt to lure and capture the Kabukichou Boss Cat Houichi ホウイチ, After Gintoki urinated on the grave of the stray cat he then passed out and woke up that he has turned into a white cat, at first he didn't notice that he transformed into a cat but after he ask for water from the talking stray cats he then sees his reflection of himself on the puddle that he has transformed into a cat, he then panics and ask himself why he turned into a cat.
Kabukicho Four Devas Arc
One night Gintoki drank himself silly, but when morning arrives he regrets it by waking up in bed next to his old landlady! As he struggles to piece together what happened, news gets worse - apparently he had six-timed with Otose, Shimura Tae, Sarutobi Ayame, Yagyuu Kyuubei, Tsukuyo, and even Hasegawa Taizou. With the help of Hattori Zenzou, Gintoki struggles to lose their affections by appearing commited to each one (seperately and secretly), but each plan backfires until the truth is out that it was revnge for when he gor drunk and they decided to pull a trick on him. He vows not to drink again... and it's revealed he's been punked!
A brothel had hired Yorozuya to make a certain customer in jailor outfit to pay his debts. Gintoki found out the man was actually a real jailor and was put in jail for falsified accusations.
Love Choriss Arc
In order to save Shinpachi and bring him back to reality, Gintoki started playing the Love Choriss game but was stuck with the most unpopular character of the game, Shiramizu Pinko. Pinko's son died when Gintoki shut the game with force. After the event he was haunted by Pinko and her son's visions even in real world even though other people excluding the fellow Choriss gamers couldn't see.
During the Love Choriss event, when forced into a corner, Gintoki, with his imagination, was able to remodel Pinko into his dream girl, successfully allowing him to face off Shinpachi in the final round. In the end, he was the one who fell deepest in the game world which woke the others back to reality.
Host Club Arc
After a "misunderstanding" between police forces, Shinsengumi and the new Mimawarigumi, almost-arrested Gintoki is offered a job by Mimawarigumi cheif Sasaki Isaburo. He was to infiltrate Check It Out Gang, which held connections to Jouishishi. But when the gang kidnap and hold hostage a younger half-brother to Sasaki and assisstant to Hijikata Toshirou, Gintoki only sticks around until Sasaki makes it clear his job is over. After witnessing both black and white police uniforms fighting each other, Gintoki declares Check It Out Gang is with neither side but his own, Shiroyasha! More fighting ensues until the gang has been apprehended and everyone's (mostly) ok. Gin's arrested later by Hijikata for announcing his famous Jouishishi title and possibly attempted murder, but Sasaki Tetsunosuke vouched for his freedom and no charges were pursued.
After returning to his home from a vacation, he had found out that someone named Sakata Kintoki had usurped his place as a protagonist of the show. No one knew him and he almost gave up until Tama and Sadaharu came to aid him in his task. They formed Yorozuya Sepia in order to recover everyone's memories of him. Tama would go under alias of Matagura (Kagura's temporary replacement) and Sadaharu would be Sachiharu (Shinpachi's replacement).They tried a few attempts to bring back everyone's memories of him but fails. During one of these attempts, he manages to save Sarutobi Ayame from trying to fall down from a building(who in reality wanted to have more time with Kintoki) and is helped by Kagura and Shinpachi and the others slowly remember until he is accused of attacking Tama. Gintoki is able to defeat Kintoki after an unexpected fight(even after going through Mantama, another show that kind of Kintoki as the protagonist).
Courtesan of a Nation Arc
Tsukuyo and Hinowa tells him about Suzuran and her beauty that affected Yoshiwara. Hearing this he was invited by Suzuran herself thinking that he would have a chance to sleep with her but her appearance is not what she think she is. Learing that she had made a promise with one of her clients, he, Tsukuyo, Shinpachi and Kagura helps her find her clients. He finds out that her client is the former Shougun.
Because her former client is the Shougun, Gintoki says it's impossible to enter the castle to meet the Shougun. But Kagura says its not impossible to enter the castle. He, Shinpachi and Tsukuyo are shocked to see how Kagura is close to Soyo. Entering inside the castle, he meets Isaburo and Nobume for their duty to protect the Shougunate castle. To get the former Shougun attention without noticing, Tsukuyo suggests that they should play 'Kick the Can'. Gintoki resisted but had no choice but to kick the can at the former Shougun's room, but ends up injuring the current Shougun.Hearing that Tokugawa Sada Sada is entering the room to speak with Shige Shige, both Gintoki and Nobume panicked and started to run away but is stopped by Tsukuyo. With no choice Tsukuyo and Nobume pretends to be prostitude while Gintoki tries to act like Shige Shige. When Tsukuyo tells Sada Sada about Suzuran, the Naraku guards comes and arrests and framed them for killing the high Bafuku. While in jail, Soyo comes and tells them a bed time story based on the actual promise between Suzuran and Maizou. Learing that Maizou is the man that made a promise to
Suzuran, the Shinsengumi lets them out and save Maizou.
Reaching to Sada Sada place, Maizou's body is thrown and an enraged Gintoki tries to kill Sada Sada but is blocked by an masked enemy.
Battling against the enemy, Gintoki gets himself hit by poison needles and is unable to move. When he relized that the enemy is Oboro, he seems to be shocked to meet him again. Hearing about Yoshida Shouyou's crime, Gintoki is boiled with rage and tries to kill Oboro. Overpowered and poisoned by him, Gintoki lays defeated until both Shinsengumi and Mimawarigumi arrived. Sasaki Isaburo and Mimawarigumi members attack the remaining Naraku members as Gintoki remains wounded and unable to fight. After some banter between the two, Sasaki shoots Gintoki in the chest claiming he is useless trash now.
Tsukuyo is sent into a rage after seeing Gintoki get shot. She runs over to him but neglects a Naraku member sneaking up behind her and attacking. Suddenly Gintoki's wooden sword is plunged through the Naraku members stomach, killing him. It turns out that Sasaki Shot him with a antidote to the poison that helps Gintoki recover. Gintoki leaves after Oboro and Tokugawa Sada Sada slashing two more naraku members along the way. Before he leaves Sasaki asks Gintoki what he wants, Gintoki replies that he wants "Sada Sada's Head", Sasaki says it could be expensive but Gintoki replies that his head is worth nothing, Sasaki covers Gintoki's escape and orders all his Mimawarigumi members to cover "That ordinary man" and to allow absolutly no one upstairs. Gintoki, Tsukuyo, and Nobume all leave together after Oboro and Tokugawa Sada Sada.
Beam Sword Style Arc
Kagura's Boyfriend Arc
- According to Sorachi, Gintoki's name was based on Sakata Kintoki, also known as Kintaro, from a famous folk tale set in the Heian Period. Kintaro became friends with the animals that lived on the mountain where he was raised, and was even capable of battling with them. After certain events, he became a samurai and eventually went under the name Sakata Kintoki (坂田公時). Sorachi-sensei, in one of the question corners explains this, and doesn't intend on making Gin-san a descendant of Kintaro.
- Gintoki likes to order a custom "red beans on rice" dish at his local restaurant.
- He might not look like it, but Gintoki was noted by Sorachi as a skilled chef. It was said that he was at the "steel man" level when it comes to cooking  (mentioned in episode 92's behind the scenes). He is also a capable baker, being able to bake his own strawberry cake at Shinpachi's house as shown in episode 2.
- His design was actually for Hijikata's when sorachi lost his first design.
- It is only during the second part of Episode 97 that Gintoki did not "Physically Abuse" Sarutobi Ayame. This maybe due to him been sick and feable, or it could be in the way Sarutobi approached him and slept next to him unchantedly that made him unable to beat to her.
- Gin bows to the Shinsengumi for the first time in Lesson 406 in order to save Obi Hajime, which caused Sougo to take pictures or record Gin on his phone.
- Gintoki's nickname Shiroyasha in the Japanese manga meaning White Demon is change to White Knight in the English translation VIZ media.
- Even though Gintoki had swore not to kill people, but so far he had tried to kill Tokugawa Sada Sada, Oboro, at the beginning Doromizu Jirochou and tried to get rid without caring if they died to Sakata Kintoki and Kawakami Bansai, as well as killing Okada Nizou, and Housen. He was also seen killing Naraku agents in the Courtesan of a Nation Arc, as well as many Amanto throughout the Benikazura Arc and the Kabukicho Four Devas Arc.
- Ketsuno Cristel is the only female character to not really know him well and not to attack him at all.
- In Episode 111, it was shown that Gintoki has at least 3 pairs of his normal attire (consisting of yukata and his black pants and shirt) when Shinpachi was hanging laundry inside their house.
- In Episode 45, Gintoki accidentally revealed his genitals on the national news after forgetting to zip up his pants.
- Whenever he loses after he gambles, he is commonly shown wearing pink boxers with strawberry pattern. In episode 111, some of his undergarments were shown hanging including the strawberry-patterned one.
- Gintoki's nickname, Shiroyasha literally means "white demon".
- Gintoki's dominant hand is his right one
|Fight||Outcome||Time it Occurred|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Kondou Isao||Win||Lesson 8|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Hijikata Toushiro||Win||Lesson 9|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Daraku||Loss||Lesson 12-13|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Daraku: Rematch||Win||Lesson 14|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Onijishi||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Hattori Zenzou||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Okada Nizou||Win||Episode 51|
|Yorozuya and Shimura Tae vs. Eromes||Win||Episode 30|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Okada Nizou: Rematch||Loss||Episode 58|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Okada Nizou: Final Fight||Win||Episode 61|
|Sakata Gintoki and Katsura Kotarou vs. Harusame||Retreat||Episode 61|
|Sakata Gintoki and Shimura Shinpachi vs. Yagyuu Kyuubei and Yagyuu Binbokusai||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. No. 502||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Kawakami Bansai||Win||Episode 104|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Nakamura Kyoujirou||Loss|
|Sakata Gintoki and Nakamura Kyoujirou vs. Yazuka Gang||Retreat|
|Yorozuya and Tsukuyo vs. Kamui, Abuto and Ungyo||Loss||Episode 140|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Housen||Almost Loss||Episode 143|
|Sakata Gintoki, Tsukuyo and Hyakka vs. Housen||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki and Tsukuyo vs. Jiraia||Loss|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Jiraia||Win||Episode 179|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Doromizu Jirochou First Fight||Loss|
|Sakata Gintoki and Doromizu Jirochou vs. Shinra||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Doromizu Jirochou Final Fight||Win|
|Yorozuya, Kaientai, Katsura and Elizabeth vs. Dark Vader||Win||Episode 235|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Sakata Kintoki||Win||Episode 256|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Oboro||Loss|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Oboro: Rematch||Win|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Obi Hajime||Loss for holding back|
|Sakata Gintoki vs Okita Sougo||Draw||
- (To Hijikata, anime only) "You can slash away any number of men, but you can never betray a girl's innocence."
- (To the loan shark Amanto) "The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what i wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet I'll pick it up."
- (To Terada Tatsugorou grave) "I won't forget this favor, the old lady probably doesn't have much time left. From now on, I'll protect her for you."
- (To Katsura) "What's the use of fighting a futile fights? Do you really intend to lose more of your friends for something like that? I'll pass on that, as long as I'm alive I'll live by my own rules. I'll live how I see beautiful and protect those I hold dear."
- (To Hasegawa) "So what if the government collapses or the country is ruined! I'm not civic-minded! All I want is to stand tall, and live on until the day I collapse and die!"
- (To Katsura) "If you've got enough free time to fantasize about your beautiful death... Why don't you just live your life beautifully to the end?"
- (To Shinpachi) "A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword. Do you love your sister?"
- (To Katsura) "They weren't really a burden, it was something precious that you held with both hands, and you didn't realize it that you held it. You only realize its true weight when it slipped from your hands, I don't know how many times I thought "I wouldn't carry this weight again" and yet all of the sudden I'm feeling this weight again. If I threw it away it might be easier, but somehow i don't feel like it. It would be too boring to keep walking without them."
- (To Daraku) "Listen, I don't care what you do around the universe, but this is my sword, and anywhere it reaches is my country!"
- (To Daraku) "Bastard who messes with my things, whether it's a general, space pirates or meteorites, I'll crush them!"
- (To Hasegawa) "Men don't need to speak the same language, they can communicate with their soul."
- (To Sakamoto) "Sorry, but despite how I look, I really love this planet."
- (To Sakamoto) "I'll just relax here and cast my fishing line, I'll catch a shooting star or two and release them to the sky."
- (To Hijikata) "Whether I go or not I'll die anyway, I have an organ more important than my heart. Although you can't see it, I feel it going through my head down to my feet, and I know it exist within me. it lets me stand on my feet, it lets me walk forward without trembling. If I stop here, I feel like it would break...., my soul will break."
- (To Shinpachi) "I'm not interested on keeping anyone around who isn't willing to share, even if he's an animal."
- (To Sadaharu) "The Sakata family will always share when times are tough, with food and also pain."
- (To Bansai) "Then and now, what I protect has never changed."
- (To Tsuu's Father) "The best way to live a full life is to be a child, no matter what your age."
- (To Tama) "I didn't forget it.... I couldn't if I tried. Because the colors of all you idiots are mixed into it."
- (To Kanshichirou) "Maybe, after you grow a little more and you still remember about me, come and find me again. I'll be glad to do more things with you then."
- (To Shachi) "You may be a powerless prisoner locked in a cell, but no man can put a lock on you or anyone's dream. Release from this cold cell your dream."
- ↑ Sorachi Hideaki, Gintama, VIZ media, Vol. 7, "Sorachi's Q&A Corner #10", page(s) 50.
- ↑ Sorachi Hideaki, Gintama, VIZ media, Vol. 13, "Sorachi's Q&A; Hanging with the Readers #38", page(s) 106.