Okita Sougo ( 沖田 総悟, Okita Sōgo) is the 1st Division Captain of the Shinsengumi and was a trainee at Kondou Isao's dojo in his youth. He is the younger brother of Okita Mitsuba who raised him after their parents passed away. He is recognized as the best swordsman in the Shinsengumi and takes pride in his job to lead the vanguard as to open a path for the Shinsengumi.
During his childhood, Sougo's parents passed away, leaving his older sister, Okita Mitsuba, to raise him by herself in their home village. She herself admits later that she spoiled him because of their parents' death, which caused him to be aloof and distant. Because of this, he never had many friends, until he caught the eye of Kondou Isao who took him in as a trainee into his dojo. He grew fond of Kondou and still highly respects him.
However, after a new student, Hijikata Toushirou joined the dojo, Sougo became more distant, feeling that Hijikata was taking over Kondo's attention and favoring Hijikata over him. Sougo noticed that Hijikata had grown a close friendship with Kondou and Mitsuba, and this (accompanied by his arrogant attitude at the dojo) caused Sougo to hate Hijikata with a great passion.
A few years later, Sougo, along with the other Dojo students, set off for Edo and subsequently set up the Shinsengumi. Okita Mitsuba wanted to go with Sougo to watch over him and to be with Hijikata. However, after Hijikata rejected Mitsuba's request to follow him (out of the knowledge that the path he chose could cause him to lose his life at any time), Sougo has held a grudge against him. This grudge is additionally fueled by his goal to take over as vice-commander of the Shinsengumi.
Okita Sougo appears to be a mild-featured young man with short, light brown hair and red-brown eyes. He has an almost-childlike innocent face as well as full lips and is often described as handsome. During the Correspondence Arc, his picture is used to create the impression that 'Shinpachi' is attractive, and Shinpachi said in the Excalibur Arc that his good looks are all that he has.
He wears the standard Shinsengumi uniform. Like all Shinsengumi captains, he wears a white cravat around his neck, tucked into a black vest with a yellow lock. His dark, unbuttoned jacket (reaching to the thigh with a collar) is decorated with gold buckles, buttons, and triangular-shaped cuffs. His black trousers are supported by a brown belt with a silver buckle. At the left hip is tied his sheath, holding his katana. He also wears black, heavy boots with a small heel.
When resting, or skipping work, he wears a distinct red sleep mask with eye markings. He carries it around with him and is rarely seen without it. It has a black border and red painted interior, decorated with wide-open eyes with straight lashes.
During the events of the Dekoboko Arc, he switched genders due to a curse and was seen in his female form. Shinpachi describes the gender-swapped Sougo as a "Grade A beauty, as expected." Later during the arc, he wears a yellow short kimono and thigh-high tabi black socks.
Okita Sougo's Gallery
Sougo's most prominent trait is his sadistic nature, which was revealed on and on as the series goes. A clear example of this was when he collared and chained up Urara with a metal leash for an "S&M" (sadistic & masochistic) play. Hijikata even goes as far as calling him the King of the Planet of Sadists in episode 20. Although acknowledged to be a sadist by the people who know him, including the Yorozuya, he is surprisingly obedient to his sister, Okita Mitsuba, shown in his respectful way of speaking to her and the way he kneels before his sister to apologize. Interestingly, however, in episode 35, when Sougo fell of a roller-coaster after forgetting to belt himself, he admitted in his panic that his sadism stems from being actually sensitive and weak deep down ("glass no tsurugi").
He is shown to have evil intentions underneath any good thing he does, and is very blunt, not hesitating to express his observations, disdain towards others, or unflattering perceptions, be it to Hijikata or Kondo (but especially to Hijikata). Despite this, Sougo is usually protective of the people he genuinely cares for, such as Okita Mitsuba, his older sister, and his commander, Kondou Isao (even though Sougo repeatedly calls him Gorilla). When an official insults Kondou, Sougo draws his sword to kill him before being stopped by Hijikata. Additionally, he is unexpectedly sensitive to others' feelings when it truly counts, often saving his comrades' lives in battles and even taking on burdens for other people.
Sougo's ambition is to become the vice-commander of the Shinsengumi, and as such, he regularly attempts to usurp Hijikata of the position through various methods, ranging from framing him for murder (when he shoots Matsudaira and places the gun in Hijikata's hand with the intention of making it look like the vice-commander had been the one to shoot), to harming or even "killing" Hijikata. His attempts appear real enough that Hijikata was afraid he would get killed during the Shinsengumi Death Game arc. In spite of this, Sougo has respect for Hijikata and even considers him to be one of his 'three rotten friends' (the other two being Kondo and Sakata Gintoki). He also has a similar rivalry with Kagura of the Yorozuya, and the two often get in meaningless competitions over the smallest of situations.
In general, Sougo acts aloof and disinterested most of the time and is most often seen with a blank, deadpan expression on his face. Though he often acts lazy and slacks off on his jobs, he is very attentive when needed and does not hesitate to kill or cut down his enemies. He is also very observant and aware of political movements, as he is often the one explaining situations to the Yorozuya. Both Nobume and Kamui have stated that Sougo has the eyes of a killer, yet he doesn't wish for innocent people to walk the path he has taken and be stained by blood. This is particularly evident in the Rokkaku arc, where he would rather take the blame and hatred of the daughter of the Rokkaku owner than let her know the cruel truth of her father's death. Additionally, in Episode 27, he shows distaste towards the Rengokukan fighting ring and enlists the Yorozuya to help him shut it down.
Strength & Abilities
- Increased Strength: Kondo Isao once stated that Sougo was one of the best fighters in his dojo. His combat skills are at a lower level than Hijikata, but he rarely loses to him. He was able to cut a car in half with a single strike, and destroy concrete pillars supporting a building during his fight with Imai Nobume.
- Master Swordsmanship Specialist: Shinpachi mentioned that Sougo is a genius swordsman and the strongest in Shinsengumi. He has shown incredible strength with his sword during the Rokkaku Arc, eradicating many Jouishishi members while deflecting sniper bullets with only two swords. He destroys an entire concrete building in the Baragaki Arc and was also able to fight squarely with Kamui during the Shogun Assassination Arc, managing to inflict many grave injuries.
- Katana model Kiku-Ichimonji RX-78 : Sougo carries a katana, a traditional Japanese sword. The handle is decorated with typical braid tsukaito. His katana has a built-in MP3 player, and the blade can cut through even rock.
- The scabbard with his Kikumonji katana : His katana is sheathed within his scabbard called Saya, a sword Amanto from the star Excalliber. He found Saya in a pawnshop in New York and bought her. Excalliber-ians have one large eye, fringed with long eyelashes.
- Shinsengumi Bazooka: Sougo can often be seen with a bazooka, which he uses to shoot not only opponents but also Hijikata.
- Kanchou: In childhood, Sougo often came to his dojo to practice. During a sword exercise (where students would swing a heavy piece of wood), he praised Sougo as a genius, before discovering a few seconds later that he was being tricked, after which he proceeded to scold Sougo.
- Okita Mitsuba: Sougo is very attached to his older sister Okita Mitsuba, who brought him up from a young age when both were orphaned. He always speaks to her with great respect in contrast to his typical attitude towards everybody else. He has made wrong decisions for what he believed was for her sake; despite knowing that Mitsuba's fiance, Toma Kuraba, was a Joui rebel, he at first pleaded that Hijikata spare Toma, as Mitsuba was dying from a lung disease, and he wanted to her to experience happiness before she passed. But after learning that Toma was only using her as a bargaining chip to his advantage against the Shinsengumi, he ruthlessly dispatched him. He has shown emotions around her that he never shows anyone else, as she was the most important person to him, and was shown crying at her deathbed.
Friends & Allies
- Kondou Isao: Similar to many others, Sougo constantly teases Kondou and calls him by his nickname, Gorilla. However, Kondou is the only person besides Mitsuba whom Sougo is openly loyal to, loyal to the point where he sees himself as only one fitting to the position of vice-commander. This admiration stems from when he was a child--Kondou was the first person to make friends with him and became somewhat of a brotherly figure. Sougo went as far as threatening to kill an important foreign official for insulting Kondou and later pretending to betray Hijikata so that he could remain by Kondou's side.
- Hijikata Toushirou: He often commits acts of violence toward Hijikata in a deadpan manner or with a sarcastic smarmy attitude, leaving the audience constantly wondering whether he is really serious about killing Hijikata or not. For now, he just seems to play dangerous jokes. Sougo's ambition is to become Vice-commander of the Shinsengumi, the same position Hijikata currently holds. Events during the Okita Mitsuba Arc hint that he is jealous of Hijikata always appearing to usurp the attention of those near and dear to him. It is an undisputed claim that he is the strongest swordsman, but Hijikata can bring out the weaknesses in him, shown in Episode 86 when Sougo loses a match to him. A list of his 'attacks' on Hijikata Toushirou can be found here. Despite the fact that he always tries to kill him, Sougo considers Hijikata as an important figure and a friend, treating him with respect in serious situations as shown in the Prison Island arc.
- Sakata Gintoki: Referring to him "Boss", Okita seems to get along rather well with Gintoki. After a rough beginning, the two find common ground in their love of torturing and humiliating Hijikata. After witnessing the fight between Gintoki and Hijikata, Okita said he would love to clash swords with Gintoki one day. Although a hit from Hijikata would often result in a violent retribution from Okita, he doesn't seem to have a problem with taking a lecture or a knock on the head from Gintoki. When his sister came to visit, Okita bribed Gintoki with chocolate parfaits to pretend that he was his best friend. Though this was a charade meant to reassure his sister, Okita does consider Gintoki to be one of his 'three rotten friends.'
- Kagura: Sougo calls her 'China Girl' or 'China'. After the Cherry Blossom party, they would often fight whenever they had a chance. Kagura is one of the only female characters in the entire series whom he has apologized to, the other being his sister. He's the only one who notices Kagura is faking her illness in Episode 297, but he chooses to sit back and sadistically watch her 'literally' dig her own grave, saying that her friends would notice as well if they truly loved her. In the Yagyu Arc, when Kagura was in danger, Sougo saves her and states that only he was allowed to beat her; later, however, when Sougo bends her wrist the wrong way in his 'attempt' to mend it, Kagura retaliates by breaking his leg. When the two realise they will be unable to fight by themselves, they reluctantly team up, showing that despite their ongoing rivalry towards each other, they can work together when needed. This can further be seen in the Rokkaku Arc--when Kagura was shot in the leg and being chased by a group of terrorists, Sougo helped her escape at great risk to his own life. In Chapter 534/Episode 312, he manages to save Kagura at the last minute when she falls from a cliff, holding on even though she shouts to let go before the incoming arrows come their way. He also tries to protect her from Nobume, whom he believed intended to kill her. In the aftermath of the Farewell Shinsengumi arc, it is not clear whether Sougo actively seeks Kagura out to say goodbye, but they have one last, bittersweet fight before he departs, during which they both tell each other to not lose to anybody else, echoing Sougo's earlier words in the Yagyu arc. After two years, kagura (little) meets Okita Sougo again, welcoming little kagura (introducing herself as his daughter) with a bittersweet fight by saying to Kagura Little who always did it with her mother referring to a small rivalry, when Kagura returns to her normal form saying "Hello, welcome" with a smile.
- Saitou Shimaru: He respects him more than other Shinsengumi members. He has only heard him speak once at a convenience store where he had in actuality fallen asleep.
- Shimura Shinpachi: Sougo treats Shinpachi quite well in comparison to other people since Shinpachi does not offend people as much as the other two Yorozuya members. Kondo additionally issued a new law in Shinsengumi that stated all members had to treat Shinpachi well.
- Shimura Tae: He's one of the two Shinsengumi members (the other being Hijikata) who has personally witnessed how dangerous Shinpachi's sister can be when Kondo Isao becomes particularly insistent in his stalking. As fellow sadists, Sougo respects her. During the Gender Bender Arc, Otae tried to rip off female Okita's breasts as she was infuriated by how big they were
- Sarutobi Ayame: He and Sarutobi first met in Episode 83 at the cabaret club when Sougo took note of her masochism tendencies and quickly formed a bond as S&M enthusiasts. In the Host Club Arc, Sarutobi compliments him when he suggests that he pin her nose back with hooks and posts pictures of it around town for the G-course he was offering. In Episode 277 during the Dekoboko Arc, Sarutobi becomes Lady Souko's advisor at Club Sadist as she becomes the top courtesan in the Kabuki District.
- Tokugawa Soyo: In Shogun Assassination Arc after receiving orders from Hijikata, Sougo went on the ship to defend it from insurgents. He protected Soyo when Kamui attacked and lead Jii-ya and Soyo to safety after the ship went down, earning her utmost gratitude, despite him feeling inadequate about his failed mission.
- Katsura Kotarou: Formerly a wanted man due to his involvement in terrorist activities against the Bakufu, Katsura was constantly attacked by the Shinsengumi, especially Sougo. They become allies later during the Farewell Shinsengumi Arc.
- Urara: During the Correspondence Arc, he pretends to be Shinpachi on a date with her, and she quickly becomes completely obedient to him.
- Imai Nobume: They fought against each other in the Mimawarigumi arc. They could be considered rivals because of both of them being sadists. Nobume commented that Okita shares the same eyes as hers: the eyes of a killer.
- Kuraba Touma: Though he was thought to be friendly at first, in reality, he was very manipulative, wanting to marry Sougo's sister for the sole purpose of becoming acquainted with the Shinsengumi. Upon Hijikata's discovery of this, both become enraged for using his sister as a tool, and with the help of Gintoki, he finishes Kuroba for good by slicing his car in half.
- Tendou Soutatsu: He manipulated Kirie into helping him kill Okita, telling her it was supposed to avenge the death of her father during the Rokkaku Arc.
- Kamui: Kamui has shown interest in Sougo ever since he saw him murdering Takasugi's men. A rivalry formed during Kamui’s fight with Sougo, revealing their sadist levels are near equal. Both constantly look for a rematch.
- Utsuro: In Episode 314 during the Farewell, Shinsengumi Arc, Sougo first met Utsuro and faced him together with Kagura and Nobume, but all three were unable to defeat him. Utsuro was the first enemy that had made Sougo shake with caution and admit he was an enemy he could not defeat. As such he refers to him as a "monster".
Sougo's first appearance was when Katsura Kotarou tried to recruit Gintoki but the Shinsengumi followed them, Hijikata Toushirou and Okita Sougo witness Gintoki throwing an explosive bomb outside to save lives. This causes the Shinsengumi to be highly suspicious.
The second appearance was when Toushirou, in place of Kondo Isao lead an attack against Joui Patriots. After learning that a silver hair samurai beat Kondo Isao at a duel, the whole Shinsengumi went seeking Sakata Gintoki. At the end, when Hijitaka lost against Gintoki, Sougo wanted to challenge him as well, but Kondo advised him against it.
Together with the Shinsegumi, Sougo appears at the factory that was manufacturing Justaways. He fires a cannon on the building, saying that Kondou once said "to kill him should he be captured by the enemy". Together with the Yorozuya and Shinsengumi, Sougo stood by Gintoki (who had lost his memories), and the sight of his friends protecting him caused Gintoki's memories to return. Sougo, using Hijikata's police car, pulls up at the bar where they see Katsura. A terrorist plants a bomb under their car, but the men jump out of the car and start chasing him. Some time later he appears with a squad of the Shinsengumi in the factory where Yamazaki is spying. They suspect that Justaway is actually a bomb. Moments later, it turns out that the revolutionaries have three hostages: Gintoki, Kondo and Yamazaki. Okita indiscriminately shoots at them. When Shinpachi Shimura, Kagura, and other members of the Shinsengumi appear, they jointly crackdown on the enemy. Because of this, Gintoki recovers his memory.
Sougo made a brief appearance together with Hijikata, laughing at Matsudaira who was conned by Aitorishi (who was attempting a similar trick on Shinpachi) when they found him being charged with sexual harassment.
Sougo wonders who Umibozu is. After a while, it turns out that the universe is a cleaner that kills the most dangerous creatures. Sometime later, when others are looking for a parasitic alien, Sougo watches the news and learns about a bank robbery. However, he only arrives with the team after it ends. Subordinate commands to get ready for the attack, but the bank goes. Umibozu bald and racking up Kagura. Shinsengumi remain so without a word and then go inside. The boy wonders if his father always fights with rivals such as ugly monsters. Sometime later, along with other members of Shinsengumi arrives at Terminal possessed by an alien. He grabs a megaphone and announces a creature that is surrounded by. I realize that they can not shoot him without permission in the interests of the government building. It surprised the arrival Gintokiego, which, however, decided to take action.When Kondo decides to shoot the monster, despite the general prohibition Sougo and Hijikata watching the fight, they roll Gintoki with Umibozu. After shooting a bullet through Katakuriko waiting for developments. When it turns out that the monster is dead, and the mercenaries and Yato safe and sound, along with Hijikata and Kondo leaving the terminal. Overtaken by a group of reporters, but Okita rejects them one kick.
Sougo made a brief appearance when he tried to arrest Kagura riding demon Sadaharu. He almost shot both Kagura and Sadaharu with his bazooka before Sadaharu then crashed his police vehicle. Manage to dodged the attack, Sougo then clinged into Sadaharu's back and later being shot by Shinsengumi's bazooka force that was led by Hijikata.
Sougo made a brief appearance, with Gintoki wanting to put an infant in the care of the police. Sougo who was on "official duties", remarked that the infant was a spitting image of Gintoki and mock hims "you reap what you sow", showing no interest to help out at all. He gives the baby back to Gintoki and dismiss the case, claims that he is busy and promptly nap on the bench. Gintoki then proceeds to throw him into the nearby river in a fit of rage.
Sougo is briefly seen bothering Hijikata in a ramen shop when the massive blackout occur.
Kondou was forced into an arranged marriage with a gorilla. In order to save Kondou out of his distress, the Shinsengumi together with the Yorozuya joined forces in order to save Otae from Kyubei, who claimed Otae to be his(her) bride. During the battle at the Yagyu household, Sougo faced off with Minamito Sui, with Sougo easily defeating the latter. Before Sougo could finish off Minamito however, In the final clash against the Yagyu clan, Sougo rode on Hijikata's shoulder to fight off the enemies. Kondo is forced into an arranged marriage with a gorilla. To save his Shinsengumi leader joins forces with mercenaries and go to the dojo Yagyuu clan, which is held Otae. During the fight becomes Sougo competes with Minamito Suim, but easily beat the man. Unfortunately, when going to hit him the last time he bumps into Kagura fighting with Nishino. When Sougo turns her broken arm in the wrong direction, this in response to breaking his leg. Consequently, cooperate and overcome representative Yagyuu. During the final battle Sougo sitting on the shoulders of Hijikata, where hits opponents.
Sougo's sister, Mitsuba, visited Edo in preparation of her marriage. Sougo showed an expected side of him to the rest of Shinsegumi as his personality took on a 180 degree change in front of his sister. Showing his sister around Edo, Sougo "bribed" Gintoki to pretend to be his friend to assure his sister that he was doing fine.
Weak in health, Mitsuba's conditions worsened as time went by and at the same time, Hijikata discovered that her fiance, Toma Kuraba, was making arms deals with the Joui. Knowing his sister's condition,Sougo pleaded with Hijikata to allow his sister to experience happiness with what's little time she had left despite knowing that Kuraba was a criminal. Hijikata however, was firm that Kuraba was to be arrested. Angered by his stand, Sougo attacked Hijikata but lost.
While looking over his sister in the hospital, Sougo was later informed by Yamazaki that Hijikata was planning to stop the arms trade all by himself as revealing the truth that Sougo's brother-in-law-to-be was a criminal would threaten Sougo's position in the Shinsegumi. After hearing Hijikata's true intention, Sougo went on to the battlefield, taking out Kuraba himself. After a brief conversation with his sister, Sougo was later seen mourning for his sister that had passed away.
Sougo by sleep instead of counting sheep dead bodies Hijikata, who after waking to inform him of the guest arrived. Sougo guides the seat of Shinsegumi sister. Sometime later sitting together in a coffee shop and talk about the wedding and the state of her health. Asked about bringing friends Gintokiego. After a brief conversation, Mitsuba starts choking and spitting Tabasco sauce, then worried Sougo. Men discharging her home. When you want to ask about Hijikata Sougo forbids her to see him. After he lost consciousness Sougo is even angrier at Hijikata. Sometime later appears in the dojo, where he trains his commander. He wants to avoid approaching the Mitsuby, and it's fierce and serious. He learns, however, that Kuraba Tom sells weapons to terrorists. Hijikata asks for a transfer of the investigation. When refuses to attack him by surprise, but loses the fight. Concerned about the health Mistuby, running to the hospital. This leads to the men's conversation between him and Kondo. Later it turns out that Hijikata embarked on a self-proclaimed mission. Sougo forcibly stopped by the head is in the hospital. Reveals that he knows why Hijikata could not tie his sister, but he hates it. It helps him to Gintoki, who whisks him to the place of action of the Shinsengumi. Sougo gets in the way of the car, which is going to Tom and pulls out a katana. Bisects the vehicle, which consequently explodes behind him. Then again goes to the hospital, where his sister passes away.
Accompanying Kondou to purchase an Owee for the cabaret girls at the request of Otae, Sougo took part in the final stage of the contest for the Owee together with Hijikata. After being transported to the Dragon Hunter lll world, Sougo left a dead Hijikata for the casino, claiming to want to earn enough money to buy the antidote for Hijikata. It was shown later that Sougo won enough money to purchase the King as his weapon.
While Hijikata was being possessed by the Demonic Sword, Sougo pretended to defect to Itou's camp in order to stay close to Kondou and keep him safe. Stranded on a train with just Kondou and the rest being their enemies, Sougo impressively took out an entire train of enemies all on his own.
Sougo and Hijikata, whose bodies turned into screwdrivers, decided to play Monkey Hunter to find the Amanto behind the whole situation. They received avatars that looked liked the suspected amanto. Sorry attracted only Mercenary, Kondo and Katsura, who watched them struggle with the main monster. Then together they go to the cave, where he comes out of their true personality. Sometime later Sougo with other players sitting in the restaurant where they talk about their future. knowing that their lives will never return to normal.
Sougo, who dropped by the Shimura's house in search for Kondou, was made to participate in the attempt to reply a mysterious letter in a bottle that Shinpachi picked up at the beach. Sougo's picture was later used for the reply, with Gintoki believing that his bishounen look will be of use. On the day of the actual meeting, Sougo turned up in place of Shinpachi, and within hours, was able to turn Urara (the actual correspondent's sister) into his slave. Urara was made to wear a metal leash while the group moved around looking for Urara's sister that went missing.
Sougo wakes up in a place with Hijikata. They are both chained. Hijikata states that he doesn’t remember anything, so Sougo explains him what happened during their night patrol. Suddenly, the tv opens and Jigsaw (parody of the movie ‘’Saw’’) appears and explains the game. Sougo dashes forward to take the key, but Jigsaw states that only the one with the key will live, and if they don’t play, in three days, the Shinsengumi station will blow up. Jigsaw’s mother calls him to a diner and he closes the tv. Sougo states that Hijikata seems odd and ask sif he is scared. He wants to take a piss, and Hijikata states that he needs to take a piss too.
Sougo wants to take the key but doesn’t want to play into Jigzaw’s hands. He plans to make Hijikata play the traitor and wait until he makes his move, but he doesn’t move at all. Hijikata offers Sougo to sleep, but after talking a little they both agree to sleep. Sougo pretends to be asleep but Hijikata doesn’t make a move and he figures out that Hijikata is also using his tactic, trying to make him play the traitor.
When they tell Jigsaw that they won’t betray each other, a dog appears and attempts to eat the key. Hijikata dashes forward and catches the dog, but Sougo pulls him back finally seeing his chance, so Hijikata throws the key out of the window.
They find a chuubert but can’t share it, so they try to break the pillar. Sougo finally gives up and apologizes to Hijikata and severs his head with a saw. Hijikata drinks the entire chuubert and breaks the pillar. He tries to save Sougo but the ground shackles. Hijikata manages to grab the lower flor and stops falling down. Sougo opens his eyes and thanks Hijikata for his good work. He opens his leash and throws it down, making Hijikata down in the process. The death game turned out to be a collaboration between Sougo and Jigsaw at the very end, with Sougo considering Gintoki as his next target.
Sougo took part in the Otsu fanclub battle together with Hijikata, Kondou, and Yamazaki in order put to rest the otaku counterpart of Hijikata that possessed him after he took possession of the demonic sword. In the battle of stamina, the race to the TV station, Sougo was seen cheating by taking a cab instead of running by foot. Sougo was later in charge of narration during the 2nd round of battle against the Terakado Tsuu's Imperial Guards.
Sougo came in 2nd in the Gintama character poll and faced the wrath of those that ranked below him. Pretending to team up with the Yorozuya to fend off their common enemies, the battle of popularity begun.
Sougo was attacked by a girl, Kirie, who claimed that her father was murdered by him during the Rokkaku massacre years ago. Sougo brought Kirie to the Yorozuya to have them deal with her instead. It later turned out that Kirie was being made use of by Soukaitou, the organisation that took part in the Rokkaku massacre, in an attempt to take revenge against Sougo. Sougo, Kirie and Kagura ended up being kinapped by Soukaitou.
On the other hand, through the Yorozuya's investigation, it was revealed that Sougo was not the one that murdered Kirie's father. He was merely keeping the truth from Kirie that her father was part of Soukaitou, saying that he did not want to taint the image of her father in Kirie's heart. Sougo then fought singlehandedly against Soukaitou. With the Soukaitou armed with guns, Sougo was eventually forced into a corner but the Yorozuya and Shinsengumi turned up just in time to help.
In the end, on his way to purchase a cake for his prank, Sougo received a letter from Kirie, implying that she had moved on with her life and understood Sougo's kindness.
Sougo made a brief appearance, baiting Gintoki and Katsura who were turned into cats and Kondou into a gorilla, with food but ended up eating the food himself, once again displaying his sadistic nature.
Two years after the break, Sougo was shown taking over Shinsegumi after Koundo retired. Shinsengumi, now under Sougo, was known as the Shinsengumi Empire while Sougo himself took on the title of Kaiser.
Sougo is talking to his cellphone about Kyuubei's monkey Jugem Jugem's long name in Episode 222.
Sougo unexpectedly turned up at the love choriss event. It turned out that Sayaka (whom was originally Kondou's love in the love choriss game) was actually Sougo's right from the start but was forced to pretend to be Kondou's love due to Sougo's sadistic nature of wanting Sayaka to understand how it was to serve someone she didnt fancy.
Sougo's Sayaka emerged as the winner for the stage featuring Sayaka and proceeded to the last stage of the contest, competing with Shinpachi and Gintoki. Things took on an unexpected turn when Sayaka turned against him before the competitors entered the love hotel (final setting of the last stage). Sougo was made to take the place of the slave while Sayaka became the master.
Shinsegumi went on a vacation on the request of Matsudaira, but it turned out that it was actually a job of babysitting the shogun that wanted to try snowboarding. Chancing upon the Yorozuya while carrying out his duties, disregarding his duties. in an attempt to stop the shogun's human snowboard. The Shinsegumi together with Yorozuya later worked together in search of the stranded Shogun.
Sougo was scouted by Kyoshiro to replace the hosts that left due to rumors surrounding Madame Yagami's arrival at the host club. Sougo proved to be a natural host, entertaining the customers with ease.
Sougo joined in the rescue of Sasaki Tetsunosuke who was captured by the Check it Out gang. There, Sougo faced off Imai Nobume, who claimed that Sougo shared the same killer eyes as she did. The two fought and later engaged in a battle of S&M, using the gang members as their targets. Resuming their fight, Sougo cut down the pillars supporting the building and won the battle with Nobume buried under the rubbles.
The Yorozuya was made to take the blame of recently murdered bakufu chief vassals and the supposed death of the Mimawarigumi leader, Saski Isaburo. The Shinsegumi was sent to investigate the case. Sougo displayed his sadistic nature by eating in front of the imprisoned Nobume and Kagura and was played in by the both of them for his attempt. Later, together with the Shinsegumi, Sougo fought against the underlings of Sadasada.
Sougo together with the rest of the Shinsengumi was frozen by the universal clock as they investigated the UFO crash site of the guardians of the clock.
As Gintoki tried to forcefully take the battery from Hijikata's tight-gripped hand by punching him in the face, Kagura randomly knee-kicked the frozen Sougo in the face.
Sougo was turned into a girl along with the other members of the Shinsengumi. He went along with the idea of acting the role of his new gender and participated in a contest between himself, Ginko, and Tenko to pick up men. After failing to return to his original gender, he went to Yoshiwara. He joined the other characters in watching a movie at the end of the arc, after they all had their genders swapped back.
Sougo and Hijikata investigate a string of murders, all killed with their head being held on only by a bit of skin. When they're chasing a boat, they bumped into the Yorozuya and are caught up in the incident. Sougo helped them escape, but still arrested them after reaching safety. On the day of their execution, he explained that they needed a scapegoat to take the blame, however, it was just an act to save Ikeda Asaemon from execution.
In the Shinsengumi Dojo, Sougo tells Hijikata his proposal to 'teach the new members how miserable the Shinsengumi is' but was rejected because he had once scared away all new trainees. After being admitted to the Shinsengumi, Katsura was introduced to Saito Shimaru by Sougo. During the arbitration of Saito, Sougo was wearing an afro wig, and then was found to have surreptitiously poisoned Hijikata.
He comes across Gintoki while on patrol. To satisfy Hijikata by bringing a few criminals back to the station, he arrests Gintoki as a substitute, since he has a sword stuck up his ass that technically counts as a violation of the sword prohibition law.
He and Gintoki later use the Excalibur Amanto swords in a battle against each other; Sougo's sword eventually breaks. He leaves, telling Gintoki that he would prefer a normal fight against him next time without interference.
One night met a man named Senbee want to fight. Sougo discovers Senbee been possessed by an evil amato sword named maganagi. Sougo arrives for a duel with Gintoki and covers the demon sword with dog poo. Later, Sougo is consumed by Maganagi. Maganagi controls Sougo to mixed results up until Sougo takes control back, and upon seeing Gintoki impale his ass with the remnants of his sword, Sougo responds by impaling his chest and demanding Maganagi try to consume him again. Maganagi loses the subsequent clash, and Sougo consumes the sword.
Sometimes later Sougo buys a new sword and sayako is happy with him.
Together with the Yorozuya and the Oniwabanshuu, the Shinsengumi is hired by the Shogun to transport him outside the country and protect him from assassination. During the operation, one of the escort ships carrying Soyo-him gets attacked by Kihetai disguised as ninjas and the Harusame. Sougo boards the ship and fights off the attackers until Kamui appears before him.
Having watched how Sougo fights, he thought that Sougo reminded him of himself quite a lot, claiming that they both have the eyes of a murderer, and that they both were seeking someone stronger than themselves to fight. Kamui and Sougo then start to fight to the death for a short while before being interrupted by Hattori Zenzou, showing the Shogun's head to the Harusame to end the battle. Before leaving, Kamui and Sougo threw swords at each other for the last time, and the spacecraft fell down after an explosion. Sougo later gets his injuries treated and sits out for the rest of the operation. Towards the end of the battle, Sougo recovered from his injury and came to the aid of the Shinsengumi when the Naraku arrived.
In a flashback, Sougo is seen driving a patrol car with Hijikata when they see a van with Kondou inside. They return to the Shinsengumi headquarters to see conflict arising between the Mimawarigumi and the Shinsengumi officers. Shocked, Okita and Hijikata are approached by Gintoki who apologizes to them. Afterward, he questions Hijikata's decision with Kondo's situation.
At night, Sougo is approached by Joui members. Thinking that they are here to kill him and the rest of the Shinsengumi because of its disbandment, he prepares to fight them, warning that since he is now a vagabond since the Shinsengumi ceased to exist, he could go all out on them. Kagura comes across him by chance and notices that he is in a depressed state. Kagura gives him words of encouragement, telling him that people still believe in the Shinsengumi despite its disbanding. Sougo lifts himself up, and declares to the Joui that he is still a member of the Shinsengumi. He and Kagura charge at the Joui but they are stopped by Yamazaki and the other Shinsengumi members who have joined the Joui patriots and explain their reasons. Later, he is seen sitting in the midst of Joui and Shisengumi members uniting to rescue Kondou. Despite wanting to rescue Kondo, Sougo restrains himself by reciting the 4th article of the Kyokuchuu Hatto, insisting that he will follow only what Hijikata decides to do next.
When Hijikata makes the decision to return to the Shinsengumi headquarters, Sougo is among the other members standing in line and saluting. Sougo calls out to Hijikata asking if he had forgotten something and throws Hijikata's uniform at him, and asks to be given orders.
With the rest of the Shinsengumi they meet with the Joui patriots to declare peace and a temporary alliance.
As the Shinsengumi/Joui head towards Kokujou Island by ship, they are attacked by the disguised Naraku. Sougo is seen fighting and gives Yamazaki a hand by kicking his opponent while slicing his own enemy at the same time.
While a fleet of decoy fire ships draws the Mimawarigumi's attention, the rebels land unopposed on a beach behind the enemy. While climbing the cliff, the group is suddenly ambushed by the Naraku shooting arrows at them. After Elizabeth attacks the Naraku from below, Shimaru, Yamazaki and the other Shinsengumi members arrive at the top of the mountain,
After Oboro appears with Nobume and other Mimawarigumi members, he volunteers to fight Nobume. He admits that he would like to go with Hijikata and the others but doesn't because of his duty as first division captain of the Shinsengumi.
Together with the Shinsengumi, Sougo charges past Mimawarigumi members up a cliff towards Nobume. He exchanges fierce blows with her and manages to shatter her second short sword but is injured in the arm. Nobume then informs him about how Sasaki saved the Shinsengumi in their earlier days as well as trying to protect children in the Naraku. Sougo notices the Naraku ships approaching and questions Nobume about Sasaki's decision to commit seppuku along with the country sparking an attack from Nobume. Fending her off, he asks what kind of general would do that and whether Nobume was just going to stand by as it happened. As the fight continues Sougo is surprised to see Nobume suddenly shedding tears. Before they can strike each other again Kagura interrupts the fight.
After Kagura and Nobume's failed attacks on Utsuro, Sougo diverts him from stabbing Nobume by throwing a short sword along with an attack from his katana.
He knows his attacks are futile due to how powerful Utsuro is. Okita is thrown off the cliff during the fight and was thought to be unconscious but got up to protect Shinpachi from being harmed by Utsuro. While fighting with Utsuro again, Nobume and Kagura join in to fight against Utsuro. While retreating, he supports Nobume.
On the ship, he and the rest of the Shinsengumi members pay tribute to Isaburo by saluting with Nobume. When preparing to leave Edo, Sougo is seen with the rest of the Shinsengumi members vowing to return back as Edo's samurai.
During the battle with the Liberation Army, Sougo makes his return along with the other members of the Shinsengumi.
Gintama: The Final Chapter Be Forever Yoruzuya
Sougo takes a huge change in appearance 5 years later. Parodying Rurouni Kenshin, he now has longer hair tied in a high ponytail and wears a red kimono top with a white hakama, as well as a long scarf. Overall, he still retains his sadistic nature, as well as his loyalty towards the apparently deceased Gintoki.
- Based on Okita Souji (沖田総司), the captain of the first unit of the Shinsengumi. Soji was a prodigy and was seen as one of best swordsmen of the Shinsengumi. Though just a rumor (but at least true in Ryotaro Shiba's novels), he may have owned a katana called Kiku-ichimonji. In Gintama, he bought the Kiku-ichimonji RX-78.
- His katana is somewhat inspired from the Sakabatou, Kenshin's signature weapon. Especially its model number was inspired from the original RX-78 model suits from the Gundamseries.
- In the Japanese version he likes to end his sentences in '~desaa' and "~desuzee'.
- Sorachi originally designed Okita as a female wielding an umbrella; however, he had to be changed to a male since only men are allowed in the Shinsengumi. The umbrella ended up being given to Kagura and the appearance to Otsu; the female samurai idea went to Imai Nobume of Mimawarigumi.
- Fans had created female version of him which was named 'Okita Sorachi' along with Hijikata Toushirou, Kondou Isao, and Shimura Shinpachi.
- Acknowledged as the bishounen (美少年, aka 'beautiful youth') of the series, Gintoki took a mug-shot of him attempting to slice up Shinpachi and sent it off as Shinpachi's photo in the Correspondence Arc, explaining that he 'looked better' than Shinpachi. Belying the innocent-looking good looks however is an insanely sadistic person who delights in chaos and is always trying to 'kill' his Vice-Commander Hijikata Toushirou.
- In Episode 159, it is revealed in "Teach us Ginpachi-sensei!" that Okita probably listens to Rakugo (a Japanese comic storytelling)
- In Gintama the Movie: Be Forever Yorozuya, Sougo is similar to Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin. He even has the same speech patterns and is even referred to as "manslayer" just like Kenshin.
- In addition, his fighting style bears a resemblance to the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu.
- His voice and live-action actors, Kenichi Suzumura and Ryo Yoshizawa are a veteran actors for Kamen Rider series, portraying respective characters:
- Kenichi Suzumura: Voices one of Kamen Rider Den-O's protagonists Ryutaros/Kamen Rider Den-O Gun Form.
- Ryo Yoshizawa: Portrays Kamen Rider Fourze's secondary Rider, Kamen Rider Meteor/Ryusei Sakuta.
- In a character poll by Charapedia, Sougo placed 1st in a poll among women for character names they would base their children's names on. [1 ]
- Sougo is often paired with Kagura by fans due their rivalry yet somehow protective relationship and which is now known as Okikagu ship.
- In Owee Arc, being a Sega fan, Sougo happened to predict the release of Shenmue III, which was announced as a Kickstarter back in 2015, and eventually being released on November 19, 2019.
- In Tales of the Rays, Sougo appears as a playable character in the collaboration event with Gin Tama. While he does gain an original arteset, his mirrage arte, Zankuujin Mujinshou, is a parody of Asbel Lhant's Expunging Sword.
|Fight||Outcome||Time it Occurred|
|Okita Sougo vs. Minamito Sui||Interrupted||Episode 77|
|Okita Sougo vs. Hijikata Toushirou||Loss (not in right mindset)|
|Okita Sougo vs. Kuraba Touma||Win||Episode 87|
|Okita Sougo vs. Shinsengumi 1st Division||Win||Episode 103|
|Okita Sougo vs. Soutatsu Tendou||Win||Episode 187|
|Okita Sougo vs. Imai Nobume||Win||Episode 246 - Episode 247|
|Okita Sougo vs. Sakata Gintoki||Loss||Episode 336|
|Okita Sougo vs. Kamui||Interrupted||Episode 301|
|Okita Sougo vs. Imai Nobume||Interrupted||Episode 312 - Episode 313|
|Okita Sougo, Kagura, Sakata Gintoki and Nobume vs. Utsuro||Retreat||Episode 314|
|Okita Sougo vs. Kagura||Draw||Episode 316|
- (To Hijikata Toushirou) "When have I taken light of my job? The only thing I've been making light of is you, Hijikata!"
- (About Hijikata Toushirou) "He's always been like that. Without any warning, he appears and... Takes away with him all the people who are dear to me..."
- (About Hijikata Toushirou) "I'm not going anywhere. 4th article of the Kyokuchuu Hatto. In the absence of the chief, the right to command is the vice chief and all officers are to obey him. I'm... not moving until he gives orders. I made it this far. If I'm going to save Kondou-san or abandon him, I'm going to stick with him."
- (About Hijikata Toushirou) "Goodbye, vice-captain. Why don’t you suck on some mayonnaise in the afterlife?"
- (To Sakata Gintoki ) "Boss, friendship is not something decided in one day, but it's something formed before you know it."
- (To himself) "Sis, I'm a lucky man. Some people live their whole lives without ever making a real friend. I've already made three lousy friends in my life."
- (To Mitsuba) "Sister, I'm sorry. I truly am a useless little brother. Right until the last moment, the one who snatched away your happiness was... me."
- (To Kagura) "What if someone you thought to be an ally was an enemy? Some things in this world aren't meant to be known, little girl. Besides, you shouldn't go off talking out of character like that. See? You've triggered my death flag."
- (To Kagura) "Some things in this world must be protected, even if it means getting your hands dirty."
- (To Kagura) "Then I've made up my mind. I'm never taking off my uniform again. There's no way in hell I'm gonna do what you want."
- (To Kagura ) "But remember this. By the next time we meet I swear I'm going to be stronger than you or that Crow! So you'd better... not lose to anyone else."
- (To Kagura ) "Hey. There's egg yolk dripping in between your thighs. Are you ovulating?"
- ( To Minamoto) " Oi.... that girl's mine to beat "
- (To Imai Nobume) "You and your big swords belong in there. It's the perfect sheath to rest... your dull edge."
- (To Kondo Isao) "I've said this many times, your worst weakness is that you're too nice. You trust everyone without question, even itou, but it's because of you that we got together, it's because of someone like you that we are fighting together, and it's only someone like you who is worth protecting with our lives."
- (To Kamui) "Don't make light of Earth's policemen."
- (To himself) "Shaking with excitement... no, that's not it. Unfortunately I'm not scared. But my body has realized it ahead of me. That I have an enemy standing in front of me that I may not be able to defeat."