Hinowa (日輪), also known as The Sun of Yoshiwara (吉原の太陽), and Yoshiwara Paradise's (吉原桃源郷) is the highest ranking courtesan and de facto leader of Yoshiwara.
Background[edit | edit source]
She was sold by her parents to Housen when she was a child. Much to Housen's surprise, she was persistent in getting Housen to enjoy the sun more. Because of her cheerful personality, she was popular with clients and other courtesans.
She tried to escape from Yoshiwara with Seita but was caught by Housen and the Hyakka while she was on the surface. Before being captured, she handed Seita to an old man who Housen threatened to kill if Hinowa did not go back. After Hinowa's submission, Housen severed her Achilles' tendons making it impossible for Hinowa to walk or even stand up, to stop her from leaving Yoshiwara ever again.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
She has black hair and blue eyes. They say her eyes are so sharp that it reminds one of sunlight. Her face is extremely beautiful.
Personality[edit | edit source]
She is the sun of the eternal night of Yoshiwara, where the women are treated as inmates in a prison, but only her eyes show no signs of weariness, vulgarity or worry. Even though she's stuck underground, her soul remains unbroken. She will never lose her true beauty. All the women of Yoshiwara have great respect for her, and all the men love her, even though she's beyond their reach, as stated by Hosen in Episode 139. However, she has a strong fierce spirit and selflessness as seen how to protect Tsukuyo she fought a catfight with the head courtesan and risked being in trouble for her.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Family[edit | edit source]
- Seita: Seita refers to Hinowa as his mother, even though they are not related by blood, because she cared for and protected him after he was born. Seita lives with her in Yoshiwara.
Friends & Allies[edit | edit source]
- Tsukuyo: Having grown up under Hinowa for years, Tsukuyo had become attached and loyal to her. Tsukuyo also seems to look up to Hinowa for hope in the dark and underground world of Yoshiwara, to a point where she referred to Hinowa as "The Sun of Yoshiwara".
- Sakata Gintoki: Since he defeated the Night King, Hinowa started to respect Gintoki as a saviour of Yoshiwara. She seems to notice his influence on Tsukuyo and often asks him to keep company for her like in Episode 181 where she made her "spend the night" with Gintoki. She often entrusts him with many tasks, like teaching Seita. She has pointed out a few times that Tsukuyo was in love with Gintoki.
Story[edit | edit source]
|This section is a stub.|
Please help to expand it, thank you.
After the Yoshiwara arc, she is alive and well, living with Seita and [[Tsukuyo] in Yoshiwara.
Hinowa's Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tsukuyo, whose name contains tsuki, meaning "Moon", is referred to as Yoshiwara's Moon, just as Hinowa is referred to as its Sun.
- Much as she is a very dignified character, she is not immune to Sakata Gintoki's scatological innuendos.