Farewell, Shinsengumi Arc is the 65th arc in Gintama, continuing after the previous arc. Another important arc, it follows the team-up of two former enemies, revelations concerning the founding of the Shinsengumi and one of the arc's main antagonists, Isaburo and Nobume. It will also introduce another antagonist who will change the course of this series.
Days after Shige Shige's funeral, Nobu Nobu continues consolidating his power after his three months as shogun. He starts by arresting Matsudaira and Kondou for failing to protect the former shogun and sentencing them to death. He then disbands the Shinsengumi. With nothing left to lose, Hijikata, Okita, and the officers team up with Katsura and his Joui faction plus the Yorozuya to save Kondou, Matsudaira and the later captured Katsura from death. While some could foresee Isaburo and his Mimawarigumi arriving to hinder them, few could foresee the arrival of the Naraku...and a Tendoushuu member.
Characters in order of appearance
- Yorozuya Gin-chan, Jouishishi, & Shinsengumi vs Mimawarigumi & Tenshouin Naraku
- Hijikata Toushirou vs Sasaki Isaburo
- Sakata Gintoki vs Oboro
- Okita Sougo vs Imai Nobume
- Yorozuya Gin-chan, Imai Nobume & Okita Sougo vs Utsuro
- Yorozuya Gin-chan, Jouishishi, Shinsengumi & Mimawarigumi vs Tenshouin Naraku
- Hijikata Toushirou vs Oboro
- Kagura vs Okita Sougo
- This is the first time an important arc continues from another important arc immediately until onwards.
- Sequeling from the Shogun Assassination Arc, this arc is based on the first part of the Boshin War, which subsequently led to the downfall of the corrupted Tokugawa Shogunate, as well as the beginning of the Meiji Restoration in the near future of the latter arcs.