Benizakura Arc is the ninth arc in Gintama. It introduces Takasugi's terrorist group, Kiheitai and the swordsmith Tetsuko. It also gives hints of the shared history between Katsura, Gintoki and Takasugi involving the man Shouyou.
The Yorozuya received two jobs, namely searching of Katsura requested by Elizabeth and to search a dangerous sword known as Benizakura, by the blacksmith Tetsuya. Yet it's revealed there's more to both requests then they thought.
Hijikata learns of Gintoki's involvement with the "civil war" between Katsura and Takasugi, He tasks Yamazaki to research the man and the inspector gets more than he bargains for in the process.
The Benizakura Arc is a major arc for Gintama. It showed that Gintama was not just a nonsensical comedy; it had a story and can show drama and action from this point onward.
Perhaps the major aftermath of the arc is that there is now a storyline to make a basis on Gintama's storyline. It reveals the origins of Gintoki, Katsura, and Takasugi that will be shown at different times later in the series. It also establishes the Kihetai as another antagonist within the story.
Characters in order of appearance
- Katsura Kotarou
- Okada Nizou
- Shimura Shinpachi
- Sakata Gintoki
- Murata Tetsuya (debut)
- Murata Tetsuko (debut)
- Recycle-shop Proprietress
- Takechi Henpeita (debut)
- Takasugi Shinsuke
- Kijima Matako (debut)
- Shimura Tae
- Kawakami Bansai
- Yoshida Shouyou (flashback)
- Ikumatsu (flashback)
- Saigou Teruhiko (flashback)
- Saigou Tokumori (flashback)
Aftermath characters (Lesson 98)
- Hijikata Toushirou (aftermath)
- Yamazaki Sagaru (aftermath)
- Kondou Isao (aftermath)
- Sarutobi Ayame (aftermath)
Movie only Characters
- This arc introduces the Kiheitai.
- More introductions to the Kiheitai's plans and alliance toward the Harusame are revealed.
- More past moments of Katsura Kotarou, Sakata Gintoki and Takasugi Shinsuke toward Shouyou are revealed.
- The Benizakura Arc is the first arc to be used in Gintama's first movies (animated and live-action).
- The name "Benizakura" comes from "Benihime" and "Senbonzakura"- a playful reference to two legendary Zanpakuto swords wielded by Soul Reapers/Shinigami Kisuke Urahara and Byakuya Kuchiki respectively from the manga/anime Bleach.